Back when I played the violin in my school's string orchestra, I found myself with nothing better to do than to look up genuine versions of the depressingly watered-down music we played. Now, in finding orchestral renditions of Georges Bizet's Farandole, I wound up with something that sounded much faster, louder, and better than the middle-school sheet music we'd be handed. It was Love Sculpture's take on Bizet's masterpiece, and it was beautiful. I eventually found out this was the fifth track on one of their early albums, Forms and Feelings. I found the rest and (for a while) I was in love. Seagull made me cry.

There's a certain intangible quality most 60's rock shares, and Love Sculpture is not without it. They're not the angry punk rock of later years. They're the gentle, kind 60's rock you miss in your heart. They're fast. When they first released their guitar-focused stylings of Aram Khachaturian's Sabre Dance, critics complained that no human was capable of playing the guitar so quickly and with such accuracy; this ability is still appreciated in more modern guitar work, like that of Megadeth or Judas Priest.

Though Dave Edmunds went on to achieve greater things in other bands, Love Sculpture issued only two albums: Blues Helping in 1968 and Forms and Feelings in 1969. The former emphasizes the blues and the latter the rock in the label one could properly attribute to Love Sculpture, "bluesrock". In a move not unfamiliar to professional musicians, the group then broke up and spread far and wide, each performer bringing his unique abilities elsewhere.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.