Pasta with Jalapeno Red Pepper Sauce.
Sauté chopped onions, minced garlic and shallots in extra virgin olive oil until translucent. Salt in order to draw out the essences of the garlic and shallots. Add chopped red bell peppers. Add red wine, reduce to a third. Add basil, oregano, salt and fresh black pepper, red wine vinegar, and as much jalapeno chillies as you can fit into the pan. Allow to cool and purée with a blender or pass through a food mill. Reheat. Boil pasta, toss the pasta in the sauce, garnish with strips of parmeggiano regiano.

Red and Green.
Seed and then slice roma (also called "plum") tomatoes into halves and then each half into thirds. Marinate in a mixture of best quality extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and fresh black pepper. Roughly chop kale, stems and all. Sauté the stems first, followed by the leaves. This should take no more than seven minutes. During the last few moments add the plum tomatoes and dressing and toss in the pan.

Seitan and Straw Mushrooms.
Tinned straw mushrooms are fine. Remove seitan (meinjin) from tins, rinse, chop finely. (You might want to check All Hail Lord Seitan! and Gluten.)Toss the meinjin with whole straw mushrooms. Dust with paprika, cajun seasoning, garam masala, minced garlic, salt and fresh black pepper. Drizzle a teaspoon or so of sesame oil over the meinjin and mushroom mixture, toss until all are well coated. Allow to marinate for several hours. Sauté or broil. Serve garnished with slivered scallions.

Would you like to go to Vegetarian Meals That Aren't Just Brown Gack?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.