The only legally released true solo album by Mike Love of the Beach Boys, this was released in 1981, the same year as Carl Wilson's eponymous first solo album, and a dark year for the band, which at points were touring without any of the Wilson brothers.

Love had previously recorded two (still unreleased) albums - First love and Country Love.

This is a truly diabolically bad album. The choice of covers (Neil Sedaka, ABBA) is odd to say the least, the new songs (which oddly Love had nothing to do with writing) are lyrically inept (Good Vibrations rhymed with Assassinations, lines like 'mod rockers dancing in a Liverpool street' and a song about watching a woman masturbate through her window...), and Love is in particularly nasal vocal form.

The album does have its defenders, and one track (Be My Baby) features Brian Wilson (not on particularly good form), but this ranks with Battlefield Earth in terms of artistic merit...

Track listing

  1. Looking Back With Love
  2. On And On And On
  3. Runnin' Around The World
  4. Over And Over
  5. Rockin' The Man In The Boat
  6. Calendar Girl
  7. Be My Baby
  8. One Good Reason
  9. Teach Me Tonight
  10. Paradise Found

The album was produced by Curt Boettcher and is not currently available.
Back to Beach Boys solo albums

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.