About the museum:
Located in what was once Covent Garden’s Flower Market, London’s Transport Museum offers a unique look at the history of London’s public transportation. The museum, which opened in 1980 after a two-year restoration of its Victorian-era home, houses vehicles and artifacts dating back almost 200 years. Many of the exhibits are hands-on, making this a fun experience for everyone, even those who might not find London's public transportation fascinating.

The museum is split up into many areas, each focusing on one aspect of London Transport history. For example, "The birth of public transport" focuses on the origins of London’s public transportation, and exhibits included a replica of George Shillibeer’s 1829 omnibus (the first London Transport vehicle) and a replica of a 1900 horse bus. Other historic vehicles at the museum include a 1910 West Ham Corporation tram, a 1907 electric tram, a 1931 'Feltham' tram, and a 1911 B-type motor bus. Within most areas there is a Kidzone, a youngster-friendly activity to keep the kids occupied if they aren’t particularly interested in trams. Interactive exhibits allow visitors to take on the role of an Underground station announcer, sit behind the wheel of a single-decker bus, and even try out an Underground cab simulator.

London’s Transport Museum isn’t just about old buses, however. There are exhibits about such subjects as the development of the Underground map, uniforms throughout the years, the role of London Transport in suburban expansion, as well as the people who have kept London Transport going, with special notice given to the role of women during World War II. Once you’re done exploring the museum, the gift shop is top-notch, offering copies of most of the Underground posters, as well as "Mind The Gap" T-shirts and other Tube-related merchandise.

Information
Address: The Piazza, Covent Garden, WC2E 7BB
Tube stop: Covent Garden (also within walking distance of Leicester Square, Holborn, and Charing Cross)

Admission
Adults £5.95 ($10.10)
Students and OAP’s £3.95 ($6.70)
Free for accompanied children under 16

Hours
Daily 10:00-6:00 (Fridays 11:00-6:00)
Last admission 5:15
Closed December 24, 25, and 26

It’s very easy to spend the whole day in this area of London. Not only is there the Transport museum, but great shopping can be found in Covent Garden and its neighboring streets. You’re also within easy walking distance of Piccadilly Circus and Leicester Square, as well as some of the West End theaters.

Related nodes:

  • The History of the London Underground
  • London Underground
  • London Transport
  • Web site: http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.