"log" is an abbreviation of the mathematical term logarithm. It is used in mathematical expressions to denote the function of "taking the logarithm".

In computer sense, A file to which some new information is appended either periodically or when something happens. The information describes the recorded event or transaction in detail. This can be later use to see what happened at specific time in the system or situation. Synonymous with log file, though the word "log" is used more commonly in informal language.

Some examples would include system logs, server logs (such as web server logs), and client logs (such as IRC logs, MUD logs, instant messaging logs, and like).

In Everything2 sense, a log is series of normal nodes that have date in title, used to describe what happened in that day. See day log, dream log, Everything Editor Logs

What rolls down stairs?
Alone or in pairs?
Rolls over the neighbor's dog?
It's great for a snack, it fits on your back,
It's LOG, LOG, LOG!
It's Log, it's Log, it's big, it's heavy, it's wood!
It's Log, it's Log, it's better than bad, it's good!
Everyone wants a Log!
You're gonna love it, Log!
Come on and get your Log!
Everyone needs a Log!

Log was a running gag on the 1990s cartoon show, The Ren and Stimpy Show. The show ran on Nickelodeon from 1991 through 1996, and was brought back on Spike TV for a brief stint from 2003 to 2004 as Ren and Stimpy: Adult Party Cartoon, finally touting the show's appallingly off-color humor and subtle references as aimed at adults.

Log was, in fact, the very first bit to be shown on Ren and Stimpy, before the characters themselves. Each episode of Ren and Stimpy had two long plot-driven segments, as well as a bunch of short vignettes. In the first episode of the first season ("Stimpy's Big Day/The Big Shot"), before the Stimpy's Big Day segment, there was an advertisement for Log, the greatest toy that's ever been made.

What is Log? Log is…a log. You can dress it up, roll it around, take it on adventures, even try to eat it. Of course, since every Log bit was a whizzy commercial with no real content, we're led to believe that Log is, in fact, a very boring toy. But that's not really the point, is it?

Log showed up several times on the show, with new outfits (Space Log), audiences (Log for Girls), accessories (Nature Log). After John K. left the show in 1993, and production shifted from Spümcø to Games Animation, Log bits stopped appearing in the show. They did not reappear in Ren and Stimpy's final run on Spike TV, when John K. had creative control again. In a way, I'm glad; the show was fairly well played out at that point, and lacked a lot of its original sharpness (much of which apparently came from the constraints put on the writing and animation): had Log returned, there's no guarantee that it would have come back as funny as it was.

Log is a fairly straightforward parody of several toys. The most obvious target was Slinky, a similarly simplistic-seeming toy. In fact, the Log song is a satire of the Slinky song:

Who walks the stairs?
Without a care?
Shoots so high in the air?
Bounce up and down, just like a clown,
Everyone knows it's SLINKY!
It's Slinky, it's Slinky, for fun, the best of the toys!
It's Slinky, it's Slinky, the favorite of girls and boys!

Of course, plenty of other toys were involved in the satirical arm of Log. The Pet Rock is one, for the way in which its advertising suggested that it did a lot more than it really could. Barbie is another, for the constantly-rotating wardrobes that children were required to buy for her. And, of course, Log was made by Blammo, a take-off of Wham-O, the company responsible for the hula hoop and Frisbee.

Here's a list of episodes with Log bits. Enjoy.

Log (?), n. [Heb. לוג l&omac;g.]

A Hebrew measure of liquids, containing 2.37 gills.

W. H. Ward.

 

© Webster 1913.


Log (?), n. [Icel. lag a felled tree, log; akin to E. lie. See Lie to lie prostrate.]

1.

A bulky piece of wood which has not been shaped by hewing or sawing.

2. [Prob. the same word as in sense 1; cf. LG. log, lock, Dan. log, Sw. logg.] Naut.

An apparatus for measuring the rate of a ship's motion through the water.

common log consists of the log-chip, or logship, often exclusively called the log, and the log line, the former being commonly a thin wooden quadrant of five or six inches radius, loaded with lead on the arc to make it float with the point up. It is attached to the log line by cords from each corner. This line is divided into equal spaces, called knots, each bearing the same proportion to a mile that half a minute does to an hour. The line is wound on a reel which is so held as to let it run off freely. When the log is thrown, the log-chip is kept by the water from being drawn forward, and the speed of the ship is shown by the number of knots run out in half a minute. There are improved logs, consisting of a piece of mechanism which, being towed astern, shows the distance actually gone through by the ship, by means of the revolutions of a fly, which are registered on a dial plate.

3.

Hence: The record of the rate of ship's speed or of her daily progress; also, the full nautical record of a ship's cruise or voyage; a log slate; a log book.

4.

A record and tabulated statement of the work done by an engine, as of a steamship, of the coal consumed, and of other items relating to the performance of machinery during a given time.

5. Mining

A weight or block near the free end of a hoisting rope to prevent it from being drawn through the sheave.

Log board Naut., a board consisting of two parts shutting together like a book, with columns in which are entered the direction of the wind, course of the ship, etc., during each hour of the day and night. These entries are transferred to the log book. A folding slate is now used instead. -- Log book, or Logbook Naut., a book in which is entered the daily progress of a ship at sea, as indicated by the log, with notes on the weather and incidents of the voyage; the contents of the log board. Log cabin, Log house, a cabin or house made of logs. -- Log canoe, a canoe made by shaping and hollowing out a single log.<-- = dugout canoe --> -- Log glass Naut., a small sandglass used to time the running out of the log line. -- Log line Naut., a line or cord about a hundred and fifty fathoms long, fastened to the log-chip. See Note under 2d Log, n., 2. -- Log perch Zool., an ethiostomoid fish, or darter (Percina caprodes); -- called also hogfish and rockfish. -- Log reel Naut., the reel on which the log line is wound. -- Log slate. Naut. See Log board (above). -- Rough log Naut., a first draught of a record of the cruise or voyage. -- Smooth log Naut., a clean copy of the rough log. In the case of naval vessels this copy is forwarded to the proper officer of the government. -- To heave the log Naut., to cast the log-chip into the water; also, the whole process of ascertaining a vessel's speed by the log.

 

© Webster 1913.


Log, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Logged (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Logging (?).] Naut.

, To enter in a ship's log book; as, to log the miles run.

J. F. Cooper.

 

© Webster 1913.


Log, v. i.

1.

To engage in the business of cutting or transporting logs for timber; to get out logs.

[U.S.]

2.

To move to and fro; to rock.

[Obs.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.