They have released two albums, called, surprisingly, "Liquid Tension Experiment" and "Liquid Tension Experiment 2". Mike Portnoy, the band leader, has stated that there will be no more LTE albums. Why? Because Jordan Rudess has since joined Dream Theater; meaning that three of the four members (Mike, Jordan and John) are now in Dream Theater. So their composing is going to be moved into DT's work. If you listen carefully to Scenes From a Memory, you can hear little pieces of of Liquid Tension Experiment in there.

Also, the CD's have some very cool liner notes. There's no words on the CD's (with the exception of the occasional "Yeah baby!" or "Where's one"?), but there is a description of how each piece was created. For example on the first CD on the back cover, it gives the following warning:

Caution: "Three Minute Warning" is not for the musically faint-hearted, impatient or critics of extreme self-indulgence. If you fall into any of the above categories, please hit the stop button on your CD player after track 8.

Mind you, "Three Minute Warning" is almost half an hour of brilliant improvisation - as Mike Portnoy puts it in the liner notes: "A half hour jam of 100% completely improvised insanity. Not a single note or beat was discussed beforehand. The result was so cool that we decided to include the jam in its entirety at the end of the CD completely live without a single edit or overdub.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.