K o R n - L i f e - I s - P e a c h y

Written by Korn
Produced by Ross Robinson
Released on October 15, 1996
Running length of 48 minutes, 10 seconds


Introduction

After Korn released their excellent self-titled debut album, they were transformed from an everyday underground band to the biggest metal band of the time. When work went underway for their new album, the hype slowly built. Even though MTV didn't want anything to do with them due to Korn's "harsh nature", people were talking about it all the time. When a release date was confirmed, the hype was unbearable.

Life is Peachy is Korn's second album, and a lot of people say it's the worst out of their five albums. I don't disagree, but I still think it's a worthy record. However, it is the least accessible for new fans, so it would be more suitable for avid Korn fans, especially if they enjoy their first album. However, despite the critics slating the album for all its worth, it went on to become double platinum within a year, which showed that bands could still flourish without MTV.

If you were to base this album on the first track, you will either be scared out of your wits or love it to death. Such is the insane nature of Twist, which is my opinion their best track ever. The lyrics consist of complete gibberish (skat), and the only word that can be made out is "twist". The overall sound of the rest of the album is definitely more insane and varied than their last album. While it consists of some of the same themes covered in the last album, the sound depicted is quite different. The distorted guitars are still there, but they sound like they've been put through a 10-speed blender. Vocalist Jonathan Davis' voice is also a lot more experimental, and he tries to sing a bit more as well.

Track Listing:

  1. Twist
  2. Chi
  3. Lost
  4. Swallow
  5. Porn Creep
  6. Good God
  7. Mr. Rogers
  8. K@#Ø%
  9. No Place To Hide
  10. Wicked
  11. A.D.I.D.A.S.
  12. Lowrider
  13. Ass Itch
  14. Kill You

For reference, Korn are:

  1. Jonathan Davis - Vocals/Bagpipes
  2. Head - Guitar
  3. Munky - Guitar
  4. Fieldy - Bass
  5. David Silveria - Drums

Sleeve Art

The sleeve art on this album is weird. It shows a small child standing in front of a mirror putting on a tie. In the reflection you see a silhouette of a much larger boy with his arms crossed and a face resembling the smaller child. However, the largest boy is only in the reflection. I think the larger silhouette is meant to represent some inner feelings being let loose. This innocent-looking boy has a massive hatred for something, and that represents Jon very well.

Song Meanings

Note: If you would like to contribute your feelings toward any of these songs, or you think I may be wrong, /msg me and I'll add it.

  1. Twist
    I don't see any chance of being able to get a definition of the meaning behind this song. There is only one word that can be made out easily due to Jon's incomprehensible skat, and even Jon says there are no lyrics. If you manage to come up with anything, /msg me and I'll add it.
  2. Chi
    This is about drug and alcohol abuse, and how Jon had to take it to escape from reality all the time. The title is named after Chi Cheng from Deftones, because he used to call this song reggae and he loves reggae music. "We entering my head / Feeling like I'm God / With the world around me / Can't you feel this pain."
  3. Lost
    This is about how Jon's best friend met a girl, and suddenly Jon become second-place to this new girlfriend. It made him feel really small and insignificant. "Hey man look inside / Know your need to your own life / Remember me, guy? / That thorn in your spine".
  4. Swallow
    This is about the paranoia Jon experienced when he used to take drugs, but he couldn't stop it because he couldn't stop taking drugs. It came unknown to me / Paranoid is controlling all of me / Somehow, a terror so pure / Right now, shit I'm yours".
  5. Porno Creep
    There are no lyrics to this song, so any meaning would be hard to find. /msg me if you find anything.
  6. Good God
    This is about a friend Jon had in high school who would leech off him. He would say that Jon had to dress like a mod or he wouldn't be friends with him again. He also always used to sabotage Jon's dates if he had none. "You came into my life without a single thing / I gave into your ways, which left me with nothing / I've given into smiles, I've dealt with all your games / I wish you're happy now, I had to let you win".
  7. Mr. Rogers
    This song is about the mixed up obsession with the TV character Mr. Rogers Jon had when he was a kid. He always followed his lessons about being polite, but that's what got him beaten up. He used to be obsessed with how evil he was when high on speed. "But you told me that everybody was my Neighbour / They took advantage of me, like I took a trip anywhere / I wish I wouldn't have watched you, I really mean it".
  8. K@#Ø%
    This song is about all the women who have hurt Jon in his life, whether it was being bullied or being dumped. People thing it's sexist, but it isn't. "Fuck you titty suckin, two balled bitch / With a fat bruised clit / My big compoto bitch / Oh shit, fucking, ass licking, piss sucking, cunt".
  9. No Place To Hide
    This is about the media always bothering him. He also says that he has no place to hide that he likes. This could be a small shot at his old drug abuse problem. see your faces and I do not understand why / Each time I dream your standing there, right by my side".
  10. Wicked
    This is a cover song featuring Chino Moreno of the Deftones, and was originally written by Ice Cube. It's just an egotistical song that Korn thought would be cool to cover. It's actually pretty good as well. Don't say nothing just listen / Got me, got me a plan to break Tyson out of prison / You going my way you get served / Still got a deuce then I bunny hop the curb".
  11. A.D.I.D.A.S.
    This song stands for All Day I Dream About Sex. It's about how Jon gets egotisical and fantasises about him being a complete "jock" as he puts it even though he isn't. He tends to feel ashamed about this. "Honestly, somehow it always seems that I'm dreaming' of something that I can never be / It doesn't bother to me, 'cause I will always be that pimp that I see in all of my fantasies".
  12. Lowrider
    This song is another cover, and was originally by War. This was sung on Guitarist Head's birthday and they decided to put it on the album. The deep voice he uses is meant to imitate 80's rap artist Tone Loc. "All my friends drive a Lowrider / and the Lowrider is a little lower".
  13. Ass Itch
    This is about how Jon always gets depressed when writing songs, because it brings back such bad memories from his life. He started to think "what's the point?" because no one will understand what it's about anyway. "I hate writing shit, it's so stupid / What's my problem today? / Maybe I'm depressed, / Maybe I'm helpless to what comes out my hand".
  14. Kill You
    This is about a relative Jon met when he was 12 (his step mother), and how he really hated her. She always used to make comments about the clothes he was wearing, and how when he was sick she would give him tea with hot sauce in it, so he could "burn out that cold". This stems from a fantasy he had about killing her. It's a great song, by the way. "I would come walking' in and I'd say hello, but you slap me and you make some fucked up comment about my clothes, / Then I tried to let it pass, but the visions in my head, were with you with a knife up your ass, laying dead".

RECOMMENDED TRACKS

  1. Twist
  2. Good God
  3. Wicked
  4. A.D.I.D.A.S.
  5. Kill You

This is undoubtedly Korn's weakest album. This does not mean it is bad, because it's still very good. It is strictly for Korn fans, and is the least accessible in my opinion. "A try before you buy" if there ever was one.


Produced and Recorded by Ross Robinson
Mixing by Chuck Johnson, Richard Kaplan and Ross Robinson
Engineered by Chuck Johnson
Cover design and Concept by Scott Leberecht

Sources:
http://www.songmeanings.net
http://www.gotkorn.com

http://www.korn.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.