One of the most hillarious scenes from the "Rockumentary" This is Spinal Tap, produce by Rob Reiner. Lick My Love Pump was the character Nigel's life work, a Mozart and Bach (or Mach for short)-influenced arrangement under development "for a few months now." When Nigel is interviewed by "DiBerg", in 1982, for "This is Spinal Tap." Part of a musical trilogy the guitarist was working on in D Minor, "the saddest of all keys." The piece would later appear on his solo album, "Nigel Tufnel’s Clam Caravan." Nigel imagined "Lick My Love Pump" as the first part of a four- or five-hour work to be played by a full symphony orchestra. The theme would be evolution. "We were fish, and then the fish crawled out on the beach, and he became a monkey. Then the monkey, he went back into the water, because it was too hot. Then he started developing gills—like a fish—and started swimming in the ocean. Then he came back out again, and was then just a monkey, and then a man, and then a monkey again, I think, and then a man. So it’s based on that."

    Nigel: Baaaaa...baaaaaa it's a horn part.
    Marty: It's very pretty.
    Nigel: Baaaa, baaaaa, yeah, just simple lines intertwining, you know very much like, I'm really influenced by Mozart and Bach, and it's sort of in between those, really, it's like a Mach piece really.
    Marty: What do you call this?
    Nigel: Well, this piece is called "Lick My Love Pump."


Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.