Leonard Horatio McCoy, M.D.

From Star Trek, the CMO on The USS Enterprise (NCC-1701 and NCC-1701-A). By retirement he was an admiral.

He was born in 2227 and in 2266 he was named CMO on the NCC-1701 under Captain Kirk with the rank of Lt. Cmdr.


He attended the University of Mississippi from 2245 to 2249 and medical school from 2249 to 2253.

Played by Deforest Kelly on Star Trek (TOS), being one of the big three and the antagonist to Spock.


This writeup is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License and the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License. (Use whichever you prefer.)

Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy was Medical Officer of the Classic Star Trek Enterprise. "Bones" is short for "Sawbones", a traditional 16th-17th century nickname for shipboard surgeons. Dr. McCoy evoked the character-type of the Kindly Country Doctor found in Western movies. He stood for the values of compassion and individualism opposite Spock's values of logic and social duty. Spock's social duty reigned on this 1960s series set in a decade which asked what you can do for your country.

Frankly, I don’t see how this node can be here without someone mentioning his trademark phrase:

Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not a bricklayer!

Of course, bricklayer was substituted with whatever noun what appropriate at the time he said it. Anyway, I concur, Bones was cool.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.