Apart from being an antiquated word, 'Lave' has a certain fame as the planet from which you started in the classic computer game Elite. As with the other planets in the game the name was randomly-generated, and thus neither David Braben nor Ian Bell were trying to make a strange reference to bathing.

The in-game description for the BBC Micro version read:
"Lave is most famous for its vast rain forests and the Lavian tree grub".

Again, this text was created from sentence fragments jammed together in accordance with some rules, and Lave (which was represented in the game by a white circle on a black background) was otherwise undifferentiated from the other worlds in the game.

The planet was fleshed out and re-appeared in 'Frontier: Elite 2' (which was otherwise set in the real universe) as the hardest of one of three possible starting locations. It was located roughly 'south east' of Earth.

Lave (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Laved (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Laving.] [F. laver, L. lavare, akin to luere to wash, Gr. . Cf. Ablution, Deluge, Lavender, Lava, Lotion.]

To wash; to bathe; as, to lave a bruise.

His feet the foremost breakers lave. Byron.

 

© Webster 1913.


Lave, v. i.

To bathe; to wash one's self.

In her chaste current oft the goddess laves. Pope.

 

© Webster 1913.


Lave, v. t. [OE. laven. See Lavish.]

To lade, dip, or pour out.

[Obs.]

Dryden.

 

© Webster 1913.


Lave, n. [AS. laf the remainder, what is left. . See Leave.]

The remainder; others.

[Scot.]

Bp. Hall.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.