Champion bull rider. Lane Frost, 1963-1989, has a statue of himself in front of Cheyenne Frontier Days Old West Museum. First made famous by riding Red Rock a bull that had thrown 309 riders before Lane beat him. Frost was killed by a bull named Taking Care of Business and had a movie made about him called Eight Seconds starring Luke Perry. People loved this guy.

8 seconds
The life and times of Lane Frost, 1987 PRCA Bull Riding World Champion


Lane Frost (October 12, 1963 - July 30, 1989)


Yeah, there's memories I'd just as soon forget 'bout Cheyenne and mud and rain;
Memories that pierce the soul and stir up old, like-new pain.
That reminds me clearly of the cost
We agree to pay when playin' our hand,
And of the good friends we lost,
In the rain, and mud, in July, in Cheyenne.

Tony Engerg


The movie "8 Seconds", is based on the true life story of one of the greatest bull-riders of his time, Lane Frost. It's a detailed account of his life, from an early age to his death in 1989.

Lane Frost learned rodeo from his father, who was a highly accomplished bronco rider. Lane's rodeo career really kicked off when his family moved to Oklahoma. Lane and his two best friends, Tuff Hedeman and Cody Lambert, toured the Western Rodeo Circuits. During their travels, Lane fell in love with a young Barrel-racer, Kellie Kyle, whom he married at the United Methodist Church in Quanah, Texas, on January 5th 1985.

The wedding reception has to be one of the most intriguing parts of the movie, as Lane Frost and Tuff Hedeman line-dance to the song "When will I be loved" by Vince Gill.

As Lane's Fame grew and his performance improved, he started to suffer from stress as he kept thinking he was letting down his fans. Lane was the type of guy who never said no to a fan, always giving autographs and teaching kids about bull riding. Everything he did was for them and that's what people loved about Lane, He was one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet; but he also was human and he made mistakes.

He scarred his relationship in a cheating incident, and he lost faith in his wife's devotion to their marriage after her run-in with an ex-boyfriend, Martin Hudson. Everything seemed as if it was going downhill.

Lane Frost rode many talented bulls, but his most famous ride was a bull named Red Rock. In the movie he rode Red Rock three times, but in reality he actually rode Red Rock for a total of seven rides; this was known as the "Challenge of the Champions" in 1988. Lane had beaten Red Rock on 4 out of the 7 occasions during the Challenge of Champions.

In Cheyenne, Wyoming, on July 30th 1989, Lane Frost was competing in the Cheyenne Frontier Days Rodeo, one of the biggest events in the PRCA. Lane drew the bull "Taking Care of Business"—unfortunately this was to be the last bull Lane Frost would ever ride. As the 8 seconds buzzer went off, Lane jumped from the bull, whereupon the bull turned and struck him in the ribs with his horn. This broke some ribs but it also severed a main artery: the internal bleeding killed Lane before he could receive any medical assistance.

Later that year Tuff Hedeman rode in and won the World Championship rodeo. After riding his last bull for 8 seconds, he remained on the bull for an additional 8 seconds to honor his best friend, Lane Frost.

What is not shown in the movie, is that after Lane was gored by the bull, Tuff Hedeman was the first person to get to him. Tuff also rode in the ambulance as it rolled out of the arena with no sirens blaring—it was a tragic day. Tuff was the one who had to call Lane's folks and Kellie, who were in Oklahoma at the time. This was the only time that Kellie Kyle did not go to one of Lane's rodeos in Cheyenne.

The next morning Tuff Hedeman and Cody Lambert made their last trip with Lane back home to Oklahoma in a plane chartered by Cheyenne Frontier Days committee.

Lane Frost showed us the real meaning of how to, "Cowboy UP".

Don't be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be.
But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price.

Lane Frost

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.