A laminate, or something which is laminated, has several thin layers stuck together. The most common example in everyday life is paper which has been laminated in plastic. Certain high quality varieties of paper, like some origami paper, is made by a simple lamination process, sticking several layers together with a thin glue mixture. Some model fliable gliders (think the same scale as paper airplanes, but serious) are made by laminating hundreds of thin layers of paper together to get something lighter and more flight-worthy than wood, if somewhat less durable. (And to qualify, albeit pedantically, for paper airplane contests.) Wood is also sometimes laminated for certain construction purposes.

Nowadays you'll find that skateboards are laminated several times. Not only does this make the board all nice and shiny, but it means that when one is skateboarding, and one decides to do a grind, or other trick which rubs along your board, the several layers of laminate are going to take the brunt of the attack, and that means that your board won't be scraped at for some time. Hence, increased longevity. On top of that, laminate is a fairly smooth and frictionless surface and therefore allows the board to slide better when doing grinds.

Lam"i*nate (?), a. [See Lamina.]

Consisting of, or covered with, laminae, or thin plates, scales, or layers, one over another; laminated.

 

© Webster 1913.


Lam"i*nate (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Laminated (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Laminating (?).] [See Lamina.]

1.

To cause to separate into thin plates or layers; to divide into thin plates.

2.

To form, as metal, into a thin plate, as by rolling.

<-- 3. To form by uniting two or more layers (in sheet form) of a material, so that the layers are bonded tightly.

4. (With material as object) To unite (layers in sheet form) by bonding, so as to create a single object with multiple layers. -->

 

© Webster 1913.


Lam"i*nate, v. i.

To separate into laminae.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.