Lake Superior is relatively, well, massive, with 3,000 cubic miles (12,100 cubic km) of water (an average depth of ~500 feet, ~1300 feet at its deepest point) and a total surface area of about 82,102km2 (31, 700 mi2), a length of 563km (350 mi) and a breadth of 257km (160 mi). The majority of the lake belongs to the United States, approximately 30,000km2 is on Canadian soil, the shoreline is nearly 2,800 miles (4,400km).

It is one of the largest freshwater lakes in the entire world, second only (volume-wise) to a lake located in Russia. The fish population has suffered in past years due to overfishing, and the inevitable pollution problems. Projects have been formed and are still underway to replenish, as the fishing industry in the area suffered greatly when whitefish and lake trout dwindled dangerously low.

Lake Superior is somewhat less polluted than its chain mates, despite the presence of pulp and paper mills on the north shore.

The area surrounding Superior is less than ideal for agriculture as the soil is inadequate for most all crops, and the climate is generally too cold to make for an ideal growth season. Lake Superior drains partially into Lake Huron via the St. Mary's River. The drainage basin is spread across the Canadian Shield (compromised of rocks that are millions of years old, they do not dissolve easily which keeps mineral levels fairly low in the water), it extends to parts of Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin, as well as portions of Ontario.

data researched and meticulously picked through at www.great-lakes.net among other places that were less useful.. and my brain. thank you brain.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.