A lake in upstate New York. Also a movie which takes place in Maine.

Let me clarify movie. It's supposed to be a horror-comedy about a gigantic alligator Crocodile that the local authorities must kill before anybody else gets hurt. If you think it's too dumb a plot, maybe, but keep reading, as it knows it's dumb, so makes fun of itself.

Directed by Steve Miner and starring Bill Pullman, Bridget Fonda, Oliver Platt, Brendan Gleeson, and Betty White

When a man is eaten alive by an unknown creature, the local rugged Game Warden (Bill Pullman) teams up with a paleontologist, big city scientist (Bridget Fonda) from New York to find the beast. Tagging along is a wealthy, slighty daffy thrill seeker to discover the truth behind the killing (Oliver Platt)..

As scary movies go, this one is sorta stupid. I mean, the Croc is really big and eats people, and even brings down a helicopter, but it's not really scary. It's lame compared to Jaws, but it knows that, and makes up for it.

What makes it a good flick is that instead it's funny. Instead of trying to be scary, like The Blair Witch Project, it goes for a laugh, because it knows the premise of a man-eating croc is flimsy.

Instead it is a glorious 'B' movie, with some funny gags. It knows it's not the best horror flick, so instead comes off as funny. The city characters and the Maine characters instantly dislike one another, and it comes out in some great one-liners. There are some redneck jokes, and the characters bounce off one another for some humor.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.