Actually there's psychological explanation why people want to belong to a group. Then of course, these groups label other groups for some reasons: for example what kind of clothes they wear, or what kind of music they do listen to.. and so forth and so on.

Most people, no matter how old or young, want to belong to a group - usually to a group of similar kind of people. This will make these people feel themselves welcome and gives them feeling of safety. Of course it is easier to hang around with people who have same interests. Suggested reading: Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

Quick: label

It is because he was (label)
but he really was (label)
and hated himself
so he killed (label)

the labels
create a safe distance

we think
we are not in those (label)s

drop the labels

a person
was sad and lonely and grieving and enraged

he took a gun
he shot many other people

bow our heads

and grieve

La"bel (?), n. [OF. label sort of ribbon or fringe, label in heraldry, F. lambeau shred, strip, rag; of uncertain origin; cf. L.labellum, dim. of labrum lip, edge, margin, G. lappen flap, patch, rag, tatter (cf. Lap of a dress), W. llab, llabed, label, flap, Gael. leab, leob, slice, shred, hanging lip.]

1.

A tassel.

[Obs.]

Huloet. Fuller.

2.

A slip of silk, paper, parchment, etc., affixed to anything, usually by an inscription, the contents, ownership, destination, etc.; as, the label of a bottle or a package.

3.

A slip of ribbon, parchment, etc., attached to a document to hold the appended seal; also, the seal.

4.

A writing annexed by way of addition, as a codicil added to a will.

5. Her.

A barrulet, or, rarely, a bendlet, with pendants, or points, usually three, especially used as a mark of cadency to distinguish an eldest or only son while his father is still living.

6.

A brass rule with sights, formerly used, in connection with a circumferentor, to take altitudes.

Knight.

7. Gothic Arch.

The name now generally given to the projecting molding by the sides, and over the tops, of openings in mediaeval architecture. It always has a quare form, as in the illustration.

Arch. Pub. Soc.

8.

In mediaeval art, the representation of a band or scroll containing an inscription.

Fairholt.

 

© Webster 1913.


La"bel, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Labeled (?) or Labelled; p. pr. & vb. n. Labeling or Labelling.]

1.

To affix a label to; to mark with a name, etc.; as, to label a bottle or a package.

2.

To affix in or on a label.

[R.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.