Kwel Sanctuary is a 21 hectare undeveloped Coastal Douglas Fir forest found at the corner of Main Road and Tucker Road on Lasqueti Island, in the Powell River Regional District of British Columbia, Canada.

The ecosection in which Kwel Sanctuary is found is the Strait of Georgia, in the ecoprovince of the Northern Georgia Depression.

In 1997, Amelia Humphries, a former resident of Lasqueti Island, donated her 21 ha of forest to the Islands Trust Fund, that this and future generations could continue to appreciate the beauty and importance of nature. The Coastal Douglas Fir forest, wildlife habitat, and scenic views are thus protected in the Kwel Sanctuary.

Though 90% forest and 4% rock outcrop, the topology of Kwel Sanctuary varies from as low as just above sea level to high escarpments, including a number of sandy areas. The forest includes ecosystems of pine, arbutus, salal, Oregon grape, and swordfern. Wildlife in the nature reserve includes osprey and eagle.

Kwel Sanctuary, owned by Islands Trust Fund, has a conservation covenant held by The Land Conservancy.

References:

http://www.islandstrust.bc.ca
http://www.conservancy.bc.ca

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.