One of the treasures of Japan, the Kusanagi-no-tsurugi or "Grasscutter" is a sword believed to have been found by the God of the storms, Susanoo in the tail of a slayed 8-headed serpent, Yamata no Orochi. Originally this sword was named Murakumo-no-tsurugi, meaning "Sword of Gathering Clouds of Heaven."

The sword earned the new name in 110 AD, Kusanagi-no-tsurugi, when Prince Yamato was ambushed by rebel forces who tried to kill him by setting fire to the field of grass which surrounded him. When attempting to save himself by cutting the grass down he realised the sword had magical properties which caused a wind to blow away the fire in the same direction the sword was swung. Thus the sword received a new name, "Kusanagi-no-tsurugi," or "Grass-cutting Sword."

The actual sword allegedly is kept in a Shinto shrine at Atsuta near Nagoya. Kusanagi-no-tsurugi is one of 3 national treasures that symbolise Japanese imperial power.
Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi, is one of the three Go-Shin Tai of the Japanese Empire, one of the three sacred treasures that symbolize the Imperial throne. The sword was taken from the Dragon-King of the sea by Yamata no Orochi, who lost it later when Susanoo removed it from his tail. Because it is one of the Go-Shin Tai, it can only be weilded by the Emperor of Japan. The sword was lost sometime in the 12th century.

The sword's original name was Ama-no-Murakumo-no-tsurugi, which means "heavenly gathering of clouds sword." It recieved its current name, "Grass Cutting Sword" when it was used by Yamato Takeru to cut grass to make an escape route and shield him from surrounding fire in one of the Ainu subjugation campaigns.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.