Old School MC, first a member of the Treacherous Three. Later came with the ever so timely VD warning, "Go See The Doctor." Had an ongoing battle with uber-MC LL Cool J, in which most folks would probably agree he got his ass kicked. Regardless, the man with the Star Trek shades remains a true pioneer of hip-hop. However, when he said that he "used to live downtown, 129th Street" he probably killed any chance of becoming a New York City cab driver.

Kool Moe Dee's beef with LL Cool J was because Moe Dee said that Cool J stole his aggressive stance and rapping style. On the cover of his 1987 album, How Ya Like Me Now, he had a Kangol hat (LL Cool J's trademark) being crushed by a Jeep. Kool Moe Dee was a harsh critic of other MCs. He used to issue "report cards" in the liner notes of his albums. When grading the Beastie Boys, he gave them mostly C's, but gave them an A for "sticking to themes".

Kool Moe Dee was born Mohandas Dewese in 1963. He had success early in hip-hop with The Treacherous 3. After this group broke up, he enrolled in college and earned a commmunications degree from SUNY. In 1989 he became the first rapper at the Grammy Awards ceremonies.

sources: allmusic.com and other sites on the net

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.