The first point and click adventure game I ever played. And it was quite immersive for its time! I got to play it on a red-hot 80286 with a consumer-model CD-ROM drive, and an original Sound Blaster card. Unfortunatley, my dad grabbed the EGA version, though we had a VGA card in the ol' Magnavox...
Anyway, on to the hard stuff.

Fifth in the series of the King's Quest games. Subtitled "Absence makes the heart go yonder". Second of the KQ games to use the SCI engine. Released 1990 in several versions:

3 1/4 inch floppy, 1.44m, EGA version
3 1/4 inch floppy, 1.44m, VGA version
5 1/2 inch floppy, 760k, EGA and VGA.

Was redone with speech and re-released on CD 2 or 3 years afterwards, with a dedicated Windows version. Also was ported to the NES by Konami, but it's far inferior to the PC version. Also was re-released as part of the King's Quest Collector's Editon, an omnibus edition that included all King's Quest games, made before the release of King's Quest 7, and the whole King's Quest Collection, which included everything but KQ8, plus several other games.

Used a manual-based copy protection system, but the Windows version did away with that, for the most part.

Story: You are King Graham, and all is right in the land of Daventry. You're out taking a nice stroll through the woods. Meanwhile, unbeknownst to you, the evil Mordack, either brother or cousin to Mananan, (the dude that Prince Alexander, as you, turned into a cat about midway into King's Quest 3), teleports outside Daventry castle, and cooks up a mean storm. Said storm miniaturizes the castle, and is taken up into a vortex, upon which Mordack teleports back from whence he came. You return, finding just the foundation of the castle... upon which a talking owl speaks to you, one by the name of Cedric (He gets very annoying later.) Cedric saw what happened, knows who Mordack is, and tells you how he can help. He sprinkles fairy dust on you, and you both fly to the land of Serenia. You land at an old wizard's house... upon which you begin your adventure.

It was the glossiest of the KQ games at the time, and was a bit difficult... especially the desert segment where you could only go about 3-5 screens before drying up into a skeleton. Ah, the memories.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.