General catchall Hawaiian or Pigeon term used to indicate a situation, specific set of circumstances, individual or nearly anything else. Pronounced as one syllable, "kiihne." (Rhymes with 'whine.')
Used inside a given conversation indicative of something all of the participants of the conversation are familiar with, or to refer to something discussed earlier by a group of the same people without having to explain the entire story again. Usage of 'kine' is similar to that of a noun with the inclusion of periods of time affecting a specific person or groups of people also added. Generally, this word is used fairly frequently in common discussions between two people who are familiar with the subject matter and can also be used to indicate a fairly complex history or situation. In addition, 'kine' can indicate a common idea or meme familiar to those outside of the situation. Tense can also be determined by listening to the context in which the word is used.
(Note: This was explained to me by a native Hawaiian after about twenty minutes of thought on the subject. Pidgin itself is something rather fascinating to listen to for someone not from Hawaii, as it is essentially a dialect of English similar in nature to Creole.)

Usage
"My brother got a DUI last weekend and now he is in trouble."
"My brah got da kine you know, plenty trouble now."

"A friend of mine can get me one of those for free."
"I got da kine, no problem."

"He's been screwing around at work and is probably going to get fired."
"He's da kine at work, not goona be there too much longer."

"What happened with your car last week? Did you have an accident?"
"Wha happened wit da kine? You wreck or somethin' brah?"

"Do you need the whole situation with the house explained or would you prefer I tell you about it later?"
"You got da kine or wanna talk story?"

"There has been a downward turn in the stock market. I am in serious financial trouble!"
"Ahh! Da kine goin' down! Eh, gimmie a dollar brah."

Kine (?), n. pl. [For older kyen, formed like oxen, fr. AS. c&?;, itself pl. of c&?; cow. See Cow, and cf. Kee, Kie.]

Cows. "A herd of fifty or sixty kine." Milton.

 

© Webster 1913


Kin (kin), n. Also Kine (kIn) . [Gr. kinei^n to move.] (Physics)

The unit velocity in the C.G.S. system -- a velocity of one centimeter per second.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.