Kindle

As a noun this is the distinctive group phraseology for a number of kittens.

Example: My cat has had a kindle of five kittens


Checked against my copy of The Quickaway Crossword Dictionary, compiled by H. W. Hill and published by Morrison & Gibb Ltd. Although undated, it would appear to have ben published during the period 1955-1957

Kin"dle (?), v. t. & i. [OE. kindlen, cundlen. See Kind.]

To bring forth young.

[Obs.]

Shak.

The poor beast had but lately kindled. Holland.

 

© Webster 1913.


Kin`dle, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Kindled (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Kindling (?).] [Icel. kyndill candle, torch; prob. fr. L. candela; cf. also Icel. kynda to kindle. Cf. Candle.]

1.

To set on fire; to cause to burn with flame; to ignite; to cause to begin burning; to start; to light; as, to kindle a match, or shavings.

His breath kindleth coals. Job xii. 21.

2.

Fig.: To inflame, as the passions; to rouse; to provoke; to excite to action; to heat; to fire; to animate; to incite; as, to kindle anger or wrath; to kindle the flame of love, or love into a flame.

So is a contentious man to kindle strife. Prov. xxvi. 21.

Nothing remains but that I kindle the boy thither. Shak.

Kindling her undazzled eyes at the full midday beam. Milton.

Could swell the soul to rage, or kindle soft desire. Dryden.

Syn. -- Enkindle; light; ignite; inflame; provoke; excite; arouse; stir up.

 

© Webster 1913.


Kin"dle (?), v. i.

1.

To take fire; to begin to burn with flame; to start as a flame.

When thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee. Is. xliii. 2.

2.

Fig.: To begin to be excited; to grow warm or animated; to be roused or exasperated.

On all occasions where forbearance might be called for, the Briton kindles, and the Christian gives way. I. Taylor.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.