(also Katita: the Hero) is my newly beloved tap-dancing wind-up robot. The clear packaging has readily asserted that this is "Collector's Item! Not a Toy!" but as it has been freed of it's box, I now christen it "toy". She is my robot of 4-legged spider tap-dancing.

Designed by Chico Bicalho (patent pending) and distributed as a Kikkerland Product, Katita has become one of my favorite new things. She is mainly made of shiny stainless steel, with a stainless steel spring, a metallic key (for winding) and little PVC feet (available with red or black feet). It is approximately 3" x 3" x 3" H and the metallic key comes in a variety of metals; copper, silver, or brass (mine is silver). Available for around $10.00 (USD), I have found my one true bot love.

From the plastic packaging box:

CONGRATULATIONS! You are the owner of a brand new katita (another fine Kikkerland product). Here are some tips to enjoy your wired four-legged friend and get the most fun out if its fidgety existence.

Katita was named after a female mutt in Rio who had just given birth to a litter of six puppies. She became a national hero in Brazil for having saved the life of a three year old boy that was being mauled by two vicious pit bulls. she was very badly hurt after fending off the beasts, but survived. This product is an homage to Katita's courage.

Instructions and Maintenance
To wind up Katita, hold it in one hand, keeping the counterweight from spinning, while turning the key with the other hand. Katita works best when all four booties touch the ground approximately 2 3/4' (7 cm) from each other forming a square (from toe to toe). If the legs become loose, the tabs holding the legs of the body may be pinched with a pair of pliers. When the legs are tight, Katita gets jumpier and even more courageous. Every once in a while, a bit of spray lubricant will keep the engine revving like crazy.

Katita's favorite performing surfaces are marble tables or thin carpets: essentially any level surface will do. What it really loves is to tap dance on a pool table with other Katitas. Two or more Katitas together make a Katita-Herophilus party. Enjoy!

Indeed, I adore the way it skitters around, attacking my Captain Hook.
For a further perusal of your own or interest in other windup toy productions, they have a nice little animation at http://www.kikkerland.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.