Very easy Kaiseki (Classic Japanese Cuisine) dish.

What You Will Need
asparagus stalks
1/2 cup of shiro (white) miso
1 tb dry mustard
gomasio for garnish

What To Do Now
Snap the tips from the asparagus and put aside in a bowl of salted water and refridgerate.

Slice the asparagus stalks lengthwise into strips 1/2" wide, then cut these into 1 1/2" lengths. Over high heat, bring 2 c water to a boil. Add the asparagus, return to the boil, and then drain immediately in a sieve. Run under cold water to cool them quickly, and pat dry with paper towels. They should be a deep and bright emerald green.

In a small mixing bowl, combine the miso with the dry mustard and mix until smooth. Spread half the mixture in a shallow baking dish then cover with a double thickness of cheesecloth the size of the dish.

Place the asparagus in one layer on the cheesecloth and cover with another double thickness of cheesecloth. Top with the remaining miso and mustard mixture. Marinate for about 3 hours at room temperature, or refrigerate overnight.

Discard the dressing and remove the asparagus stalks. Arrange the stalks on a flat rectangular platter. Garnish with gomasio (sesame salt) and loosely scatter the tender tips overtop.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.