Kampala is the capital of Uganda and is spread over ten hills. The name of the city comes from a kiganda expresion, "kasozi k'empala," which means the hill of antelopes. The city was founded in 1891 when the Kabaka of Buganda held his court on the Rubaga and Mengo hills. In 1950 the city became a municipality and in 1962 it became a city. Today the city provides views of evergreen trees gently disrutped by red-tiled villas, green iron-roofed bungalows, as well as taller modern city profiles. 1.

There are several ways to get to Kampala. By air you can arrive at Entebbe International Airport, which is about 40km from downtown. There are several roads that lead you from many border posts and other cities within the country. Another way to arrive in the city is by rail, as the city has many links to the other comerical centers of Uganda. A final way to arrive in the capital is to take a steamer across the lake between Port Bell and Mwanza in Tanzania.

There are several things to do in the city of Kampala. One of these is to visit the royal tombs of the Kabakas of Buganda located about 5km from the city's center. Also located about 12km from downtown is the Namungongo Martyrs Shrine which memoralizes 20 Uganda Christians who were burned alive in 1886 on the orders of the Kabaka. Also in the city are the National Theatre, the Uganda Museum, the Parliament Builder and several cathedrals. If you are looking for something to do at night and waste some cash, there are 5 casinos to spend time in.

1. http://www.visituganda.com/cities/kampala.htm
Other information taken from http://www.kampalanow.co.ug/ and http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinations/africa/uganda/attractions.htm

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.