A wonderful collection of children stories written and illustrated by Rudyard Kipling. His genius and incredible poetic skills are put to good use in a serie of stories relating the creation of beasts, each one focusing on a particular feature of the animal (read the titles below). This book tickles your inner child in all the right ways. Highly recommended.

Originally published 1902

How The Whale Got His Throat
How The Camel Got His Hump
How The Rhinoceros Got His Skin
How The Leopard Got His Spots
The Elephant's Child
The Sing-Song Of Old Man Kangaroo
The Beginning Of The Armadilloes
How The First Letter Was Written
How The Alphabet Was Made
The Crab That Played With The Sea
The Cat That Walked By Himself
The Butterfly That Stamped

The Kipling book of this name inspired evolutionary biologists and philosophers of biology to nick-name the stories describing a reasonable evolutionary path to a certain existing phenomenon in nature Just so stories.

The existence of the eye, for example, could be explained with a series of steps beginning with slightly photosensitive cells, through the creation of a small depletion under them that grows bigger and deeper, finally almost blocking them in, etc., with each stage having its evolutionary use.

The term “just so stories” is not considered too offensive, and is just a good natured, slightly self-mocking kind of expression.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.