Everything Day Logs
Yesterday | Tomorrow

Everything Snapshot

Time: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 01:06:55 GMT
Everything server: Apache/1.3.9 (Unix) mod_perl/1.21
Number of nodes: 585534 (1602 new since June 26, 2000)
Number of users: 16199 (42 new since June 26, 2000)
Number of links: 2127880 (18244 new since June 26, 2000)

Node to user ratio: 36.146 nodes per user
Link to node ratio: 3.634 links per node
Link to user ratio: 131.359 links per user

New Nodes: Users Online (41): [dem bones] [pukesick] [sensei] [General Wesc] [alex.tan] [Uberfetus] [bitter_engineer] [knarph] [discofever] [Magenta] [ToasterLeavings] [Jinmyo] [Electricsound] [fustflum] [android] [Ground Control] [renster] [ApoxyButt] [transform] [Halcyon&on] [Enzondio] [Psk] [pealco] [robwicks] [Kung] [ccunning] [Bill Dauterive] [jes04] [Sky] [Haggis] [Adalgeirr] [mrichich] [mailspd] [advid] [hei+co] [zilch] [boone] [JeffCoulter] [Katya] [Skyrat] [klaklak]

JeffMagnus node count: 3811 (3 new since June 26, 2000)
JeffMagnus experience: 6846 (18 more since June 26, 2000)
JeffMagnus experience to node ratio: 1.796 XP per node
JeffMagnus nodeshare: 0.651%
JeffMagnus node of the day: Everything 2 Civil War

Today I complete my 19th year of existence on this great Earth

And here I am, mashing out code in a pseudo-cubicle. What happened to this birthday parties I used to get? The presents? The adoration of your peers? What am I doing at work?!? I need to get out of here!

A quick recount of this year's events, in approximate chronological order:

I better get back to work. The boss might be dropping by any minute, and the birthday boy excuse will get me nowhere. I will celebrate this occassion later in the day by kicking some chigger ass.

Things that are better than compliments:

Recommended reading.
Hug me so hard as to lift me off the ground.
Molten wax.
Present: a pack of postcards, a Crayola pencil, and a button reading "birthday girl."
Ruffle my hair.
This morning in the elevator one of the hotel maids pushed the button for my floor and then avoided eye contact, which is normal. When it was time for me to get off she said, "I think your haircut looks cool." Without a grain of sugar in her voice: it's as if she were answering a question, probably one both of us had. Technically, that was a compliment, but it felt a whole lot better.
Cover me with a blanket just before I fall asleep.
Footsies.
Tall shadows in late afternoon; the rattle of trains; the glow of streetlights in winter fog; black-and-white photos; finding a boy who gets it.
Water fights. Noogies. Tickling. And love taps: this is the masochist in me.
Warm socks.
Secrets are probably best of all.

The hardest letter in the alphabet to find in a clothing department is D. 36D. It's always colored pink and on the bottom rack, where people put things they are too lazy to re-locate.

My watch fogged up during the hard rains today. I learned two things from the rain today. When you run out to find that your window has been down for the last 15 minutes of downpour, you should not sit down without grabbing some plastic or a towel or something. And, if you should have a spare change of clothes at work (as I always do) it is pretty meaningless if you don't have a dry pair of underpants. Hence my temporary nickname, pickle butt.

Pink Floyd makes me wish, albeit sporadically and halfheartedly, that I still smoked pot.

Shmuel's dad Ralston was at me all today to commit to reading some poetry at some coffee shop when I arrive in Grand Rapids this weekend. I wonder if I really am afraid of making an ass out of myself, but deep down I'm determined to convince myself that it's just not something I want to do.

I want to buy a bike. I want to feel the wind moving faster than it does for walking people.

I spent $125 today at Wal Mart on clothes and toiletries I need for Cornerstone. Maggie said that you run into people there that you never think you'd see there. I wonder if I'll see Chris Patton there, the guy who once had FAMOUS WRITER tattooed on his chest, only to get in covered up my a thick barred cross in the back of a nail salon in the suburbs of New Orleans.

Someone once told me that a foot of shit per day was the sign of a healthy digestive system. Again I am below average. Heh.

I am wondering what I can do to get you people to call the number on the he said, she said web site that's on my home node. What would it take you to call me, even. One noder called to tell me something he wanted to say out loud but didn't want to discuss with anyone, so he called me. What about you? You have anything to confess?

Well, the bandage from my biopsy of June 26, 2000 came off with relatively little pain, the fact of which my chest hair rejoices. Fine, except now I've got a fresh wound exposed to the world. Joy. At least it's sutured up, but the xylocaine's worn off and the prospect of sleep and turning over on it is unappealing. Still, maybe the sacrifice of... hmm... pi*4*8... roughly 100 cubic millimeters of flesh will make my computer work again. Damn thing better just be an evil mole and not cancer - I knew I'd get cancer at some point in my life, but not this early.

Fuck the DMV and fuck the hour-long line. The permit shall be gathered on Wednesday.

14:00 EET

The flu is nearly gone, but the insomnia is going strong.

I never had noteworthy problems sleeping before early last year. It was my last semester in lukio. The stress from completing the last courses and preparing for the finals caused me to miss sleep every once in a while. When the worst part was over, so was the insomnia. After that I've only had singular nights with that problem happen very rarely, which is normal and healthy according my doctor.
But in the last 3 weeks or so I have had trouble with this for several nights. The first case had to do with some stress coming from work, the second night from being over-excited over next day's trip. And now I'm just nervous over the insomnia itself and losing sleep over it.
This sucks. I really need to relax. Tips are welcome.

Needless to say, I don't feel like noding today. But I'm doing it nonetheless. One can never be too tired to node. Never.

And a happy birthday to DMan.

Track of the day:  Simon Bartholomew - Akimbo

tuesday morning

the day-after-tomorrow i go under the knife. ugh. i got a call from the anesthesiologist this morning, wanting every little nuance of my medical history. that seemed to kinda hit me, "yes, they are actually going to cut me open". i admitted to the lady on the phone all the ugly skeletons in my medical history. namely, the eating disorder. i also felt it might be pertinent to get a medical opinion on my marijuana use and how it could effect surgery. should i stop smoking until the surgery, etc. i was told that i may continue until the night before the surgery. no problem, says i. it helps me more than the mind numbing pain killers they gave me.

i have a burning feeling in my tum, not really high enough to be heartburn. i keep belching, too. more than you lurvely everythingians want to know, perhaps, but these are some of the symptoms of a bum gallbladder.

i got word from an aunt that one of the worst parts of the surgery is the carbon dioxide they fill your tum tum up with so they can see what they're doing. she said that as it dissipates, it can be quite excruciating. oi.

anyhoo... i should get my mind off it. i should do some work, and start gathering the stuff i need to work from home. more later...

Today is my dad's birthday. Sing! It's a big pain in the ass having your parents' birthdays this close to each other, especially when you're poor like me. Present season is rough.

<< week | June 26, 2000 | June 27, 2000 | June 28, 2000 | week >>

Everything's Best Users Snapshot


   #   Users                   XP   wa7   inc Level   l_XP l_wa7
    
   1   Pseudo_Intellectual  16255   141   160    11  16095   138
   2   DMan                 14129   174   188     9  13941   172
   3   dem bones            12823    92   173    10  12650    78
   4   Segnbora-t           10391    78    93    10  10298    76
   5   Saige                10345    84   117    10  10228    79
   6   pukesick              9264    18    25    10   9239    17
   7   jessicapierce         7944   -24    15    10   7929   -30
   8   Deborah909            7809    48    25    10   7784    52
   9   N-Wing                7705    59    88     9   7617    54
  10   sensei                7511   119   114     7   7397   120
  11   dannye                7475   117   120     9   7355   116
  12   Jet-Poop              7093    85    70     9   7023    87
  13   tregoweth             7078    55   124     9   6954    44
  14   JeffMagnus            6850    37    10     9   6840    42
  15   yossarian             6796    39    24     9   6772    41
  16 * ideath                6770    74    89     7   6681    72
  17 - Lometa                6748    54    21     9   6727    60
  18   pingouin              6660    23    22     9   6638    23
  19   knifegirl             6608    30    18     9   6590    32
  20   ModernAngel           6470    21    12     9   6458    23
    
  21 * /dev/joe              6310    71    74     8   6236    70
  22 - Tem42                 6307    40    12     8   6295    45
  23   General Wesc          6219    39    39     9   6180    39
  24 * hoopy_frood           5828    16    19     8   5809    15
  25 - moJoe                 5821    28     6     9   5815    32
  26   novalis               5618    18     2     9   5616    21
  27   bozon                 5582    13     0     9   5582    15
  28   RockLobster           4972    62     0     9   4972    72
  29   juliet                4968    68    50     9   4918    71
  30   nine9                 4834    21     0     9   4834    25
  31   yam                   4792    20     0     7   4792    23
  32   alex.tan              4769    27     8     7   4761    30
  33   Sylvar                4607    55    61     7   4546    54
  34   Uberfetus             4589    55    67     6   4522    53
  35   Templeton             4568    65    68     5   4500    64
  36   Sarcasmo              4314     3     2     8   4312     3
  37   bitter_engineer       4298    56    58     7   4240    56
  38   ariels                4223    13     0     8   4223    15
  39   sabre23t              4213    53    56     6   4157    53
  40   kessenich             4145    37    22     9   4123    39
  41   hamster bong          4092    87   114     5   3978    82
  42   knarph                3926    31    65     8   3861    25
  43   CaptainSpam           3777    20    12     8   3765    21
  44   wharfinger            3714    53    61     5   3653    52
  45 * Lord Brawl            3661    41    74     8   3587    36
  46 - ailie                 3640    20    17     7   3623    21
  47 - Woundweavr            3594    11    -2     8   3596    13
  48   Quizro                3554     9     2     8   3552    10
  49   Orange Julius         3483    27     0     7   3483    31
  50   hatless               3427    22     7     8   3420    25
  51   65535                 3419  #N/A  #N/A     5  #N/A   #N/A
   *   EBU #51               3419    26     4     *   3415    30
 

Server time: 12:57 Tue Jun 27 2000 TZ +0100 not UTC since May 26, 2000

* = users rising up in the EBU; - = users falling down in the EBU
l_ = last (previous) value; inc = increase in stats value
wa7 = ((stats + (6 * l_wa7))/7) = weighted average with denominator 7

sabre23t: Random Nodes

sabre23t: Nodes to node

I just wandered out of bed about an hour ago and it's already painfully apparent that this day isn't going to hold much in the way of goodness. My best friend, who happens to live with me, is probably crying as I write this and I hate when she cries, it's as if they're my own tears. Her dad is sick, he's been sick for a while (with something called colitis or something like that).. but he's going in for an "emergency" explorative surgery today. This wouldn't be so bad except that there is a high probability that it's cancer, since his pre-existing condition leads to cancer if it doesn't go away and his hasn't. Her mother called (my friend is still at work), and wanted her number there. I thought it might be better if she had a person to cry on rather than a cash register or some such.. so I went over and told her. I hate telling people things like that, though I think I'm pretty good at it, in a way. She decided to stay at work because she'd only have more time to worry if she were home.. but it left me wondering whether I should have told her or not though she thanked me for it. It sucks having to make judgement calls.. bleh.

I slept for about ten hours last night, and though I guess it was much needed I still hate sleeping for that long. I had a funny dream where the bath tub fell apart and my friend and I were in the middle of a huge FBI operation, our lives were in danger the whole time. Dun dun dunnnn... I'll add to this later in a dreamlog perhpas.

Oh, it is later. And things are looking much dreamier at this point.. he's okay, my best friend's dad that is. I think I've never been quite so happy to hear that someone is okay as I was when I found that out.. he had his appendix out, and everything seems to be alright now. Dreeeeamy.. I'm so glad, because I don't think I could have bared to see her cry anymore. Ah.. sweet, sweet goodness.

Also, I won the Whose node is it anyway? thing, and that was very nice and dreamy as well. I guess the day kind of completely turned around, now, didn't it?

hamster bong, ophie, ccunning, dragoon: I hope you and your loved ones are OK. Though I've never met anyone from Everything*, I've come to think of all of you as friends. Hang in there.

I went to another temp agency this morning, but it didn't bother me since I went straight from there to the ISP where my roommate works, and they made me an offer. So as of next Thursday I'll be working tech support there for decent money and stock options, with a salary review in three months and a good chance of being promoted to programmer when the position is created. Hopefully they won't retract the offer like those bastards at the Space Telescope Science Institute did.


*: With the exception of those I knew already like knarph, Slightlymadman, and protozoa.

Okay, well today I spent most of my time just hanging around home. It was a sunny day, but I mostly read. I learned about a man in Bend, Oregon who is building his own rocket to fly into space. I talked to my girlfriend, but not much had happened with her either. I walked my dog and met some nice people. I learned that my neighbors had build a fountain in their front yard. I played Infantry, a cool online game and listened to a lot of music. That's about it for today.

You know, one of these days I'm either going to get back in the habit of mostly working at work instead of noding, or I'm going to get in some sort of serious trouble. I just hope it's the former, but because I have an addicitive personality, a knack for procrastination, and not a whole lot of willpower, I worry it will be the second. I think I spent all but maybe an hour of my work day on Everything, even with the horrible slowness it had. Not a good thing.


You'd think it would take more than two days to take a nice, healthy plant and reduce it to a withering state, at least without the help of chemicals to kill it. But that's just what we managed to do. Sunday, while picking out various plants and flowers for the flower boxes to go on the balcony, we saw this beautiful hanging plant I'd never seen before. Hmmm... a fuschia, and I can definately see where the name for the color came from.

Well, when they say it's a shade plant, they mean it. It took took only two days worth of direct afternoon sun to see the side facing the sun withering up, leaves and flowers turning brown, and that once bushy section going flat. It turns out that the fuschia is apparently a high maintenance plant. So, inside it has come, and after we find a spot to hang it without the horrors of the sun, maybe it'll become nice and healthy and bright again. It's way too beautiful of a plant to let die.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.