A great man who insisted he never wanted any followers, but who is now revered as being one of the twentieth-century's most esteemed and influential philosophers. Born in India in the late 1800's, Krishnamurti spent most of his ninety years speaking to masses of people on behalf of their own most base needs, thoughts and desires.

An incredible writer and speaker, Krishnamurti's works were compiled into many well documented volumes and books. The First and Last Freedom, Freedom from the Known, Life Ahead, Think on These Things, Education and the Signifigance of Life, plus any of the Commentaries on Living series, all give sharp and clear insight into Krishnamurti's teachings.

Seriously, look him up. He makes you breathe easier, but prepare to read each sentence at least twice.

"Intelligence is the consumation of experience, and if you keep intelligence highly awakened, fully active, then will follow the intuition that is reason. That, to me, is the harmonious living which is the highest form of spirituality, for it is self-harmony, the perfect poise of reason and love."

-Harmonious Living (Adyar, 1930)
J. Krishnamurti Early Writings Vol. IV

Jiddu Krishnamurti was born on 11 May, 1895, at Madanapalle, a small village in south India. Soon after moving to Madras with his family in 1909, he was adopted by  Annie Besant, President of the Theosophical Society. She was convinced that he was to become a great spiritual teacher. Three years later she took him to England to be educated in preparation for his future role. An organization was set up to promote this role. In 1929, after many years of questioning himself and the destiny imposed upon him, Krishnamurti disbanded this organisation, turning away all followers saying:

"Truth is a pathless land, and you cannot approach it by any path whatsoever, by any religion, by any sect. Truth, being limitless, unconditioned, unapproachable by any path whatsoever, cannot be organized; nor should any organisation be formed to lead or to coerce people along any particular path."

From that time until his death in February 1986 at the age of ninety, he travelled round the world speaking, teaching - giving talks and having discussions. Krishnamurti evolved his teaching from his own being and living, for he had read no religious or philosophical literature. His aim was to set people psychologically free so that they might be in harmony with themselves, with nature and with others. He taught that humanity has created the environment in which it lives, and that nothing can ever put a stop to the violence and suffering that has been going on for thousands of years except a transformation in the human psyche. He argued that if only a dozen people are transformed, it changes the world.

Krishnamurti maintained that there is no path to this transformation, no method for achieving it, no gurus or other spiritual authorities who can help. He pointed to the need for an ever-deepening awareness of one's own mind in which the limitations of the mind could drop away. Krishnamurti was a world teacher. Although born of Indian parentage, he stated repeatedly that he had no nationality and belonged to no particular culture of group. What he hoped his audience would learn, he himself lived.

With thanks to a handy leaflet from the Krishnamurti Foundation Trust.

"You must understand the whole of life, not just one little part of it. That is why you must read, that is why you must look at the skies, that is why you must sing and dance, and write poems, and suffer; and understand, for all that is life."

- Jiddu Krishnamurti

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.