The Jesse Tree gets its name from Isaiah 11:1 which reads: "A shoot will spring forth from the stump of Jesse, and branch out from his roots." The Jesse Tree may serve as a guide through Advent, pointing out the history of messiah prophecies through the Old Testament. The Jesse Tree starts with the creation story and eventually leads up to the story of the birth of Jesus.

The custom of the Jesse Tree is traced back to the Middle Ages in Europe and has been brought to America. Within the United States this form of Advent Calendar isn't universal and is mostly seen in the rural parts of the Midwest and New England. Unfortunately, this custom is disappearing slowly as more and more aspects of Christmas become commercialized. (Who hasn't seen the chocolate candy Advent Calendars in stores or as fundraisers?)

Though the day to start the Jesse tree is different (some start with the introduction of the tree on November 30, while others follow the Advent calender and start on the First Sunday of Advent).

The following list will take the form of:

Date: Symbol
person - event/theme
Scripture.

This is just one of the examples of a Jesse Tree. While the general theme exists, the choice of scripture readings is by no means the only list.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.