An English cellist of warmth and intensity, as well as technical perfection, whose career was tragically cut short by multiple sclerosis at the age of 28: she died of it at 42. She was very much loved, for her personality and for the intensity of her performance.

She was born in Oxford on 26 January 1945; she studied at the Guildhall School of Music under the cellist William Pleeth, and also at Paris under Paul Tortelier, in Russia with Rostropovich, and in Switzerland with Casals. She gave her first London recital in 1961, at the Wigmore Hall.

She married the Israeli pianist Daniel Barenboim in 1967, converting to Judaism, and they often performed together. MS ended her performing career in 1973, though she continued to give master classes. She was awarded the OBE in 1976 and died on 19 October 1987. Jackie owned the "Davidoff" Stradivarius, which after her death went to Yo-Yo Ma.

The one work she is most associated with is the Elgar Cello Concerto, especially the 1965 recording with Sir John Barbirolli conducting the LSO. It has probably never been equalled: it's one of the most individually famous recordings of all time.

In 1968 she premièred Alexander Goehr's Romanze for cello and orchestra, which he had written for her.

Several films have been made about her, including Duet for One in 1986 with Julie Andrews, and Hilary and Jackie, which aired claims by her sister Hilary that she had allowed Jackie to sleep with her husband Kiffer. Although Barenboim has largely stayed silent, Jackie's friends have condemned these stories.

Sound clip of the Elgar at http://www.npr.org/programs/pt/features/pt50/index.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.