WARNING! SPOILERS HERE, THERE, AND EVERYWHERE! EAT AT JOE'S!


Title: Invaders from Mars
Release Date: April 1997
Writer: Grant Morrison
Penciller: Howard Porter
Inker: John Dell
JLA Members: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, and the Martian Manhunter.
Bad Guys: The Hyperclan (Protex, Primaid, Armek, Zenturion, A-Mortal, Zum, Fluxus, and Tronix).

So what happens?
Superman realizes that the Kryptonite he'd thought is killing him isn't even real--just a mental illusion and psychosomatic symptoms. He also realizes that the Hyperclan are really Martians. He busts out and starts beating on Protex. And Armek tells Primaid that he isn't really Armek--he's the Martian Manhunter shapeshifted into Armek's form. J'onn releases the rest of the JLA as Protex and Primaid reveal their true forms: gross, white, lizardy-lookin' varmints with an extra mouth in their stomach! Nasty!

Anyway, Protex tries to wrap up and suffocate Superman, but the Man of Steel weakens the Martian by tunneling underground to a lake of lava and then punching him clear back up to the surface. J'onn J'onzz is outnumbered by Primaid, Zum, and the real Armek, but luckily, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Green Lantern, and Flash show up to help out. Flash and Green Lantern team up to crush Armek, while Aquaman uses his telepathy to give Zum a seizure, and Wonder Woman pounds on Primaid from the upper atmosphere.

But the other Martians are still invading the rest of the world, so Superman makes a worldwide TV broadcast to tell people to use fire against the Martians--weakened by a whole planet wielding matches and lighters, the Martians are forced to surrender. In the end, the new "Garden of Sahara" crumbles, unable to sustain its new forced ecology. The JLA move into their new Justice League Watchtower on the moon, and the Martians are exiled--their memories wiped, shapeshifted into human forms, forced to work at jobs that keep them exposed to fire daily...

Cool Moments!
Superman busts out of his bonds and hits Protex with a blast of heat vision.

Cool Quotes!
(After Green Lantern flattens Armek with a power-ring-generated sixteen-ton weight)
Flash: "Low-quality finish, Lantern."
Green Lantern: "Yeah? Kiss my ring, buddy."

Aquaman, after giving Zum a seizure: "This one doesn't want to fight. He's got a headache...Ah...Sorry. I really have no idea why I said that..."
Flash: "Forget it, Aquaman. Sometimes those one-liners can just disappear right out from under you."

Wonder Woman, after dragging an unconscious Primaid down from space: "Can't believe how long she held her breath up there."
GL: "So how long can you hold your breath?"
Wonder Woman: "Obviously longer than Primaid. What a strange question. Why should anyone know how long they can hold their breath?"
Batman: "Three minutes, fifteen seconds. You'd be surprised why."

Back | Index | Forward

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.