WARNING! BIG TIME SPOILERS! DIOS MIO! ES MUY DIABLO!


Title: Rock of Ages, Part V: Twilight of the Gods
Release Date: January 1998
Writer: Grant Morrison
Penciller: Howard Porter
Inker: John Dell
JLA Members: Aquaman, Green Lantern, and the Flash.
Guest Stars: Future versions of Wonder Woman, Batman, Green Arrow, the Atom, Argent, Aztek (a woman called Azteka), a reprogrammed Amazo, Orion, and the Black Racer.
Bad Guys: Darkseid, the Grandmother Box, and Metron.

So what happens?
The ragtag JLA of the future is preparing to make their strike against Darkseid. Azteka and Argent are sent to the moon to shut down the Zombie Factory, where humans' minds are erased by Darkseid's Anti-Life Equation. Argent uses her plasma powers to create a mini-army of superheroes to distract Darkseid's soldiers, but a lucky shot almost cuts her in two...

Meanwhile, down on Earth, Aquaman, Flash, Green Lantern, Batman, and Wonder Woman ride a Boom Tube into Darkseid's headquarters while Green Arrow, the Atom, and Amazo hijack a ride from Darkseid's soldiers. Amazo is quickly killed by a computer virus while Wonder Woman fights both Darkseid and the evil Grandmother Box computer. Batman convinces Metron to become human to record the sensations of the dying species--once he does, Bats slugs him and injects him with a drug, so that he will use his time-traveling Moebius Chair to take Aquaman, Green Lantern, and Flash back to their own time. As they disappear into the timestream, Wonder Woman sacrifices herself destroying the Grandmother Box.

Batman discovers that Darkseid is surrounded by an impenetrable forcefield and sends a quick message to the Atom. Things look grim for the Dark Knight, facing Darkseid and hordes of his soldiers...but back on the moon, Azteka, surrounded by Darkseid's troopers, shuts down the containment field on the four-dimensional battery of her armor, causing an explosion that destroys the Zombie Factory. Angered that he has been deprived of his zombies and soldiers, Darkseid destroys Batman with the Omega Effect.

Green Arrow and the Atom finally make it onto the scene: a guy with arrows and a guy who shrinks vs. a god. Atom realizes that Darkseid can see, which means that light is able to penetrate his shield. Green Arrow shoots a flare arrow into Darkseid's face, and Atom rides the photons down into Darkseid's brain. He fries Darkseid's brain, sacrificing himself.

And elsewhere, Orion, son of Darkseid, his status as the god of war long stripped from him, activates his last weapon: the Genesis Box, designed to destroy the universe and then remake it without Darkseid...

Meanwhile, back in our own time, aboard the Injustice Gang satellite, Superman, Batman, and the Martian Manhunter have just defeated the Injustice Gang, and Superman apparently destroys the Philosopher's Stone. Oh, boy, another cliffhanger...

Cool Moments!
Batman punches Metron's lights out; Wonder Woman destroys the Grandmother Box; Batman, surrounded by Darkseid's soldiers, smiling humorlessly at Darkseid; Azteka blowing up the Zombie Factory; Batman defiant even as Darkseid hits him with the Omega Effect; Green Arrow and the Atom killing Darkseid.

Cool Quotes!
Green Arrow, after Darkseid's death: "Ray? You and me, man. We just killed Darkseid."

Back | Index | Forward

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.