Interstate 95 is the main expressway travelling along the eastern seaboard of the United States of America. Its predecessor was US Route 1, which still exists today along 95's general course, breaking away at certain points to serve other cities. Amtrak's East Coast lines also run roughly parallel to I-95, and the Auto Train can be used to skip the segment between Sanford, Florida and Lorton, Virginia.

I-95 can be said to begin in Woodstock, New Brunswick, where it is merely known as Route 95. It enters the United States at Houlton, Maine, and then passes through Bangor, Maine before turning into a tollway at Portland, Maine.

After a quick run through New Hampshire, 95 loops around Boston, Massachusetts and then south into Providence, Rhode Island. It follows the northern coast of the Long Island Sound through New London, New Haven, Bridgeport, and Stamford, Connecticut.

It then arcs down through The Bronx and crosses the Hudson River at the George Washington Bridge. In Woodbridge, New Jersey, 95 becomes the New Jersey Turnpike, only beginning again outside of Trenton. From there, it travels through Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Wilmington, Delaware. It then crosses the Susquehanna River at a toll bridge and goes into Baltimore, Maryland.

95 merges with the Beltway outside Washington, DC and bypasses the nation's capital to the south: from the Potomac River, you can get a great view of the Washington Monument and Jefferson Memorial. So 95 continues on through Richmond, Virginia, Fayetteville, North Carolina, past the infamous South of the Border, and then onward to Florence, South Carolina and Savannah, Georgia. Brunswick, Georgia is the last city before 95 enters Florida.

In Florida, I-95 loops around Jacksonville, and then travels through Daytona, Melbourne, West Palm Beach, and Fort Lauderdale. It ends in downtown Miami, where it turns into US 1 and winds its way down to Key West, at which point you are less than 100 miles from Havana.

It's not too strenuous to drive the entire 1,907-mile, fifteen-state length of I-95 in three days: indeed, some wired people manage to make the drive from Miami to New York without sleeping (one person I know has done it on a spare tire donut). But there are so many things to see along the way, from the Space Shuttle to Acadia National Park, that you'll want to take some more time. Going from Florida to New England is one of the coolest road trips you can make in our great nation, and Interstate 95 is the fastest and easiest way to do it.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.