Those who can, do. Those who can't, critique. Those who just don't get it, ridicule.

"My mom took me to some cafe tonight, to see these dancers."

"At a cafe? What kind of dancers?"

"They did, like, interpretive dance."

"Oh."

Interpretive dance is, like other subjects left in the care of the liberally educated, a bit murky and difficult to define clearly. You'd know it if you saw it though, or if you liked it, if it isn't art, or an Andy Warhol near-art, thing.

Interpretive dance is either a dance meant to tell a story or relay an emotion or a dance meant to express the emotion inherent in the music. That's right. Or in other words, interpretive dance is the label we came up with for when otherwise talented, trained performers forget everything they know and just sort of be-bop around.

"Movement, our first language, reaches beyond any vocabulary and reason." - Nadia Hava-Robbins

You see why I can't write about it.

Picture, maybe, that old stock footage from Woodstock, spaced-out hippies shuffling to the beat of a different pan-flute. I think that's it.

I'm going to put on my Puff the Magic Dragon record and do an interpretive dance about interpretive dance. I suggest you do the same.


 \0/   \0_   _0_   _0|  \/           Beyond vocabulary,
  |     |     |     |   |            beyond reason,
 /|     |\    |\   /|   |0  0-/-/    I ascii dance for life.

Ahhh, that was daft. We need a suitable quote to close this.

"The language of the body is the landscape of man's soul." - Martha Graham

You see? They get actual University degrees and then say shit like that. This is why professional cheerleaders expect to be taken seriously.

Friends don't let friends make shit up as they go along.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.