There are many kinds of clocks on the Internet.

By far the most common is the JavaScript clock, to be found on many people's Web sites. Many people naïvely believe that it shows everybody the same time. Some even put notices such as "Time in Mexico" or "Time in Japan" above such clocks, even though the clock will just show the time on the viewer's computer, regardless of location.
NB: Some of these clocks allow for time zone differences, but you still need your computer's time and time zone set correctly, or else you get an incorrect time.
NB #2: It might be possible to write a JavaScript program to get the time from a server and display it, but I don't think I've ever seen one. I have seen several Java programs that do this, though. Most Java clock programs, I think, just take the time from the client and are thus no better than the JavaScript ones.

There is also a CGI clock, found on many Web sites. This usually is done by having the server provide either a GIF image of a clock showing the current time, or text indicating the current time. If you want a clock on your Web site to show the time where you live, this is recommended.

There are also Web sites that are dedicated to their clocks, such as www.time.gov and www.humanclock.com. The former is typical of a site you set your wristwatch by. The latter is for amusement but can be used for serious timekeeping as well.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.