In`ter*change" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Interchanged (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Interchanging (?).] [OE. entrechangen, OF. entrechangier. See Inter-, and Change.]

1.

To put each in the place of the other; to give and take mutually; to exchange; to reciprocate; as, to interchange places; they interchanged friendly offices and services.

I shall interchange My waned state for Henry's regal crown. Shak.

2.

To cause to follow alternately; to intermingle; to vary; as, to interchange cares with pleasures.

 

© Webster 1913.


In`ter*change", v. i.

To make an interchange; to alternate.

Sir P. Sidney.

 

© Webster 1913.


In`ter*change" (?), n. [Cf. OF. entrechange.]

1.

The act of mutually changing; the act of mutually giving and receiving; exchange; as, the interchange of civilities between two persons.

"Interchange of kindnesses."

South.

2.

The mutual exchange of commodities between two persons or countries; barter; commerce.

Howell.

3.

Alternate succession; alternation; a mingling.

The interchanges of light and darkness. Holder.

Sweet interchange Of hill and valley, rivers, woods, and plains. Milton.

 

© Webster 1913.

An interchange is also a type of road junction. It is distinct from the more generic 'junction' or 'intersection' in that it indicates (in the United States, at least) a structure joining two or more roadways using multiple levels of grade so that traffic can pass through the interchange on at least one of the intersecting roadways without slowing or stopping. In the United States, this is generally done with exit and entrance ramps, with the (usually) two highways separated vertically by either raised roadway bridges or by having one road pass through a cutout to lower it below ground level at the point of intersection.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.