It's true...

I, like so many others, base my identity, at least partially, on the fact that I am different than everyone else. I believe that my motivations, my morals, my goals, and my thoughts are my own, they are not influenced by my society.

But then you have to start considering where your desire to be unique comes from. The fact is, individualism is as much a part of north american culture as mcdonalds and christmas.

When you really think about it, how is it possible to be individualistic. Anything you believe has to come from somewhere. This is similar to the philisophical concept of determinism. It's impossible not to be influenced by others because there is nothing else to define yourself in terms of.

They've killed all our heros...

American culture does indeed value individualism and has since the beginning of its history. Though the use of the concept of nonconformity in mass marketing campaigns can evoke vitriolic loathing by the masses who value true nonconformity, let us not contaminate the truth of individualism by focusing on its corruption.

My beef is largely semantic. Conformity does not mean getting your ideas from outside sources (impossible to avoid). Conversely, nonconformity does not necessarily mean rejecting any commonly held belief (ludicrously impractical).

Conformity is like art, it's about the process not the product.

An act of conformity is a decision to act a certain way in order to satisfy the expectations of a certain group. To some extent this is necessary to facilitate our worldly existence. To judge an act of conformity as either positive or negative, however, requires deeper analysis. Is the subject conforming for conformity's sake, or because they have legitimate personal reasons? The real negative connotation of conformity comes from individuals who need no deeper reason than 'it was on MTV.' In reality I believe there are always deeper reasons for everybody, but they can only be determined for oneself.

So is individualism an act of conformity? That depends on your own culture. In America it could certainly be considered conformist, but Americans should be thankful that individualism is embedded in society, rather than spiteful that their desire to be an individual does not make them unique. Anyone who thinks this way wants to be rejected by society for reasons that have little to do with individualism and more to do with twisted ideas about what society represents. If the goal of nonconformity is to live life on one's own terms, then a societal norm of individualism makes life a hell of a lot easier. If the goal is to shock and perturb people then perhaps a religious fundamentalist culture is more appropriate, but be aware the penalty for nonconformity may be death.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.