In*den"ture (?; 135), n. [OE. endenture, OF. endenture, LL. indentura a deed in duplicate, with indented edges. See the Note below. See Indent.]

1.

The act of indenting, or state of being indented.

2. Law

A mutual agreement in writing between two or more parties, whereof each party has usually a counterpart or duplicate; sometimes in the pl., a short form for indentures of apprenticeship, the contract by which a youth is bound apprentice to a master.

<-- obs? -->

The law is the best expositor of the gospel; they are like a pair of indentures: they answer in every part. C. Leslie.

Indentures were originally duplicates, laid together and intended by a notched cut or line, or else written on the same piece of parchment and separated by a notched line so that the two papers or parchments corresponded to each other. But indenting has gradually become a mere form, and is often neglected, while the writings or counterparts retain the name of indentures.

 

© Webster 1913.


In*den"ture, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Indentured (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Indenturing.]

1.

To indent; to make hollows, notches, or wrinkles in; to furrow.

Though age may creep on, and indenture the brow. Woty.

2.

To bind by indentures or written contract; as, to indenture an apprentice.

 

© Webster 1913.


In*den"ture, v. i.

To run or wind in and out; to be cut or notched; to indent.

Heywood.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.