As a matter of fact, Inca Kola is bottled by the Coca-Cola Company. I just bought a bottle of it today and looked on the back. Lo and behold:


"Produced for
Continental Food & Bev.
17 James Street, Unit 1C,
Bloomfield NJ 07003
(c)2000 The Coca-Cola Company"

The label says "Inca Kola, the Golden Kola" One can find the beverage in any local conglomerate gorcery store chain (I found it at Giant); simply look in the aisle where the Goya foods are kept and there you go.

The drink is gold in color (lighter than Mountain Dew) and tastes spicey but sweet, almost like spice cake. Incidentally, this is very much like how noders described 7-Up Gold. If they can find Inca Kola in a nearby store, then they can, indeed, taste that unique taste once again.

Slight add-in: props to sneff who says "Inca Kola was for a long time the only cola that outsold Coke in its domestic market - Peru. Then of course - Coke bought the company - can't tell you when though."

With a little bit of research I found this from www.travellatinamerica.com:

At the beginning of the twentieth century, the Lindley family emigrated from England to Peru and bought a small piece of land in the Rimac district of Lima. They soon started to produce manually the soft drink. In 1918, they bought their first machine to increase production. In 1928, they registered their company and expanded their facilities.

The name Inca Kola appeared in 1935 in its first advertising campaign during the four hundredth anniversary of the foundation of the city of Lima. The production chain was fully mechanized in 1948. A clear bottle with paper label was introduced that year, and replaced in 1952 with the logo engraved in the bottle. The factory expanded again in 1961 and introduced a more modern bottle the following year.

By 1974, Inca Kola was sold everywhere in Peru. Larger plastic bottles were introduced in 1984. The bottling process was once more modernized in 1996. Inca Kola signed a joint venture agreement with Coca Cola in February 1999.

...which would explain how I got it here in the states; Coca-Cola is merely the U.S. distributor. Yay!
(Too bad they've hired one black Vice President in 114 years and their black employees make considerably less money and aren't treated equally 'round the table...I actually boycott Coca-Cola because of this and was disheartened that they bottle Inca Kola...but oh well.)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.