MIDNIGHT

By Midnight in Hawaii, just about everyone on Earth had died.  Any survivors on the East Coast would have failed to see dawn approach.  Storms of state-sized meteors crashed into our planet, the first few plummeting into the Pacific and radiating concentric circles of tidal waves larger than skyscrapers. The final rocks demolished mountain ranges; dust scorched the skies where light shone never again.

It could have been nuclear war, the end to all ends, but it wasn’t. It could have been global warming floods, or a bacterial pandemic, or societal collapse following the national debt, but it wasn’t. It was meteors.

Researchers from Chile, Colorado, Switzerland all teleconferenced into the Mauna Loa observatory in Hawaii. There the first meteors were spotted, and soon enough the scientists concurred that the cloud of rocks were on a trajectory toward Earth. They sent out a unified press release to world leaders, then most of them promptly told their boss to go fuck themselves.

The president did nothing. It was 2am EST when he heard. He asked his aides if impact was certain, and it was, so he went back to bed.

For all the military there was no assurance of force nor direction from the entire hierarchy of commanding officers. All their protocols, drills, practiced raids, evacuations, emergency biochemical procedures proved useless.  General Arnold Wolfe was at home by the fireplace, reading to his children from a storybook.

American military bases were eased open in South Korea, Iraq, and Panama. Locals were invited to share the soldiers’ excess provisions for the first time in decades. Their supplies were refitted to support a pan-national end of the world celebration. Their satellite radio connections were used top play ACDC.

Various car fires had already been started and quelled in downtown Honolulu. Auburn streetlights lit roads browned by blood. Gunplay scattered in the alleyways and the streets and the suburbs all-alike. Few children, orphaned or otherwise, were out, and the front glass windows of nearly every bar had been shattered.

Mark Hoffman died alone in his bathtub, almost ready.

Kai Longman, he died too, at the top of Puʻukeahiakahoe Mountain, when a butterfly landed on his thigh.

Those two humans had met exactly once before the end of the world. Earlier that day Kai’s hipbone cracked the windshield of Hoffman’s BTC Bentley Continental. Hoffman could afford the car because he worked for Globosyn, Inc, an incredibly profitable and morally ambiguous energy company. Very many knew that Globosyn was one of the wealthiest corporations in America, and very few knew that the reason for this was that it reported profits off of next year’s projected earnings as fact; it fictionalized charities and subsidiaries; and its founders embezzled roughly a billion dollars since 2008.

Hoffman was Chief Accountant and in running to become a junior partner for their Pacific branch. Until that day he had worked tirelessly to maintain and perpetuate the contrived illusion of Globosyn’s success and profitability for investors. That day, however, Hoffman came to the realization his work merely had helped build the highest house of cards ever stacked by man.

Kai could afford to throw around his body because it was riddled mad with a methamphetamine addiction.  He was already a little woozy from the heroin he had taken earlier, and banked on its effects blunting the pain of their collision. He watched Hoffman enter the car, saw the look of despair on his face, and understood intuitively, almost immediately, the moneymaking potential in a feigned vehicular manslaughter.

Hoffman cradled Kai, gently guiding him into the passenger seat. He offered to take Kai to the hospital, which Kai entertained but ended up opting for cash instead. Kai explained his innocence, and Hoffman his guilt. Then it rained. The two men sat together in the car for a long, long time.

 

NINE O’ CLOCK

It is a long, hard day. The clawfoot bathtub in Hoffman’s top-floor penthouse suite is running.  Its claws are crafted of smooth Corinthian alabaster, which droops a sculpted weeping leaf.  Steam pampers in high corners of the 22-foot bathroom mirror. There sits a suicide note, one page in length, with each side folded neatly across the horizontal.  Hot water pours its weight and exhaustion against the bottom of the tub.          

There is also a toaster.  All its corners are curved comfortably. A silver mirror envelops every surface save the bottom and where the slits burn bread. It costs $89.  The toaster is understood as something Hoffman would never sell.  He thinks if there was a fire, he will take it before exiting. He links its power cord into an outlet beside the bathtub. Soaking his brown leather Ferragamo shoes and grey Armani suit and tie, he sits in the tub holding the toaster before him.  He gazes in its reflection at himself indifferently.


Kai clunks up the final steps of Puʻukeahiakahoe Moutain. Also known as Stairway to Heaven, the trail up Puʻukeahiakahoe  leads to a cement and iron a radio tower that sits on the crust where the mountain peaks. Its history is in WWII, when they used the peak to broadcast signals as far as Tokyo. Its peak is more than a half-mile in height. The vista holds Honolulu and Pearl Harbor, as well as the hillsides bubbling with methamphetamines, trailers of users and chemists and people like Kai, and, as always, the terrifying ocean beyond.  How the sand stretches out from the beaches impossibly.

Kai feels funny at the top of the mountain, like his soul is changing colors. He looks down at the metal steps as his knotted boiled feet bring him to the zenith. His tan skin is scabbed and dark hair thinned. His tongue flickers in his mouth where teeth decayed into small nubby squares, yellow and detached. He is a different man than when he first tried meth as a nineteen-year-old still living with his mom on The Big Island, six years ago. He looks like he had aged three decades. No one knows how he has survived this long.

Not knowing what exactly he expected at the peak, perhaps helicopters and army personnel evacuating people in suits, or frightened tourists huddling for their lives, Kai is surprised to find that he is alone. Not even KG, his oldest friend, is waiting at the top, laughing at him and geeking up for the big show. He stands at a vantage point where the trees had been felled for the sake of a breathtaking view, which by Hawaiian standards is exceptionally plain. The city of Honolulu is squalid and dully lit by tiny windowed buildings and cars. Houses in the hillside poke light sporadically into the black mountains as tiny candles in a dying samurai’s den. It all seems distanced and miniscule, like some child’s elaborate play set. Kai hears the occasional patter of machine guns all around.

He turns inward, toward the concrete edifice, and into himself. He faces the clarity of memory, of childhood hikes along the Hawaiian cliffs, clutching at something once deep in his heart. A soul composed of more than just the need to survive. A dignity. A pride. A self. A voice that says No. Not that it matters, but Kai chooses to never smoke meth again. He knows he will never smoke, inject, swallow or snort another drug in his life.  The earth literally trembles as Kai crouches in the bunker and prepares for withdrawal.  He can already see the wave.


Hoffman thinks, “This is it.”  Then he realizes he is hungry. He considers eating, and ultimately decides against it. He remembers that the bowels evacuate. His toes feel funny in wet leather shoes. He reconsiders his method—and confirms that the power outage will save money. The water crashes down, cringing at the corners, twisting itself, faster, cascading doubly, folding inward, rushing, and outward and upward. The shades of the flat are drawn. The water rises.  The television, which incessantly ran CNN for six years, has not even been turned on. The water envelops, takes, then retakes.  The man knows not of the outside world. “Everything floods,” he thinks. “This is how it ends.”


Kai grips the concrete edifice, his teeth chattering viciously.  He grips the rusted iron rails, hugs them with his arms. All around the island of O’ahu, people are climbing mountains, trying to escape. They hear the tidal wave approach, and Kai sees it crash. Even at that height the tidal wave menaces. Kai’s feet are thrown into the air as water pours into the bunker and takes control of his body and flips it upside down and his head scrapes the concrete but the wave does not take him. Some breath reserved in his lungs, he holds on tighter. The tendons in his arm rip. Kai does not let go.

As quickly as it came, the water empties out the bunker and splashes down the mountainside. Kai falls backwards, stumbling and plops against the far back wall, gasping and coughing. He vomits a half-gallon of saltwater.  Slowly lifting his head, gulping at the air, he slouches over his lifeless arms. In his torn rags all drenched and blackened by burnt matches and dirt and sewage he looks like some baptized chimpanzee, beaten and incredulous and wide-eyed.

Then it arrives in its simple beauty. One of God’s majestic living beings dances before him in the moonlight, elegantly floating through the observation deck. The creature, blue and red and yellow, lands softly on the space where the man’s pants are torn. The butterfly nuzzles itself against his hairy thigh. Kai regards it, and in return the butterfly gives him a kiss. Then the second tsunami hits.

 

SIX O’CLOCK

Kai is saying, “King God I know the world is ending but we had a deal!” He swipes at KG’s backyard with his foot. They stand between blotches of dead brown grass. KG has a habit of burying whatever failed chemical concoctions. In between those dirt-torn patches that linger eerily on the grounds like kiddy pools for orphaned ghosts, the grass blades prick up straight as needles. It is certainly greener on the other side of the chain-link fence that reads "CATS KEEP OUT.” A warning to the critters that mistake the smell of meth for their phantom brothers.

KG says, “Kai, bruddha, what do you want me to do? There was tweakers on my doorstep minutes after they announced the meteors. Money’s useless now, they would have torn me apart if I didn’t give them my whole stack.”

Kai grips the air and holds his fist in front of KG, who is not so fat as he is wide and intimidating. “I called you KG! I said I had 200 bucks and you’d wait for me. That’s a—a—oral contract!”

“Chill out, man.”

“No! A deal’s a deal. I don’t care the circumstances. This is an injustice. YOU are an injustice!”

“Okay, okay.” KG says. He pulls a cell phone from the front pocket of his orange XXL Hawaiian shirt. “I’ll call my guy. But who knows. I mean it’s the fucking apocalypse.” KG tells Kai to wait inside the trailer, with Veronica.  It rains, outside, briefly for a minute, and then not rains. Always. The weather betrays dependably.

Inside the trailer reeks of KG’s makeshift laboratory. In title it belongs to Veronica but KG has defiled both that nineteen-year-old and her squalid living quarters. Luckily the trailer is near the bottom of Puʻukeahiakahoe, far enough away from tax-paying residences to dissuade attention. Kai is enveloped into the folds of a beige leather couch that rots monochromatically with the tooth-decay wallpaper.

Veronica lies facedown on a dehydrated mattress in the corner. Her tattooed arm hangs over the side and drips onto the floor. Kai has never seen her talk but once, when one of KG’s failed experiments in the kitchen and nearly blew the trailer half to shit.  The girl screamed at him in Vietnamese, but still lets KG use her trailer to deal out of.

Kai doesn’t trust her, what she does or does not hear. Maybe she meets with corrupt feds who make her spell out all the terrible crimes she witnesses Kai and KG get into. Kai always suspects this. The cops make meticulous notes and she has to suck dick for her freedom. Always, then it's raining again. The clouds and rainbows hover constantly like the police are listening like his bones are itching.

Kai only trusts KG, and does so vaguely. Its their history. The two are shells of their boyhood friendship, when they first got high at Kai’s house and they geeked for hours that were suddenly days, boxing and laughing belligerent joy. The young men had been friends in high school when they started using hard because, in their words, there was nothing else to do.  Since then KG has remained close to Kai and steadily sold to him as often as humanly possible.  Only Kai knows that KG originally stood for “King God.”

Veronica slogs herself up from the mattress and looks at Kai. She asks him what he’s doing there. Kai murmurs and interrupts himself and lies in such a way to explain he’s waiting for KG. Veronica giggles, and tells Kai to come closer. She peers into his face and takes his hand, rubbing it over her soft thighs and waist.  He crouches motionless before her. Her large eyes widen. The nymph bursts into laughter, spewing her amusement at Kai’s face.

“He’s fucking you,” she says. “No one came by. KG’s just keeping it all for himself. And me. And me me me me.” Veronica rolls on her back, giggling and gazing up into the heavens.

Kai rises and storms out the trailer. KG begins to say, “I couldn’t get a hold of him,” but sees the look in Kai’s eyes. Kai slams the screen door. To leave him with that zombie of a girlfriend? And on today of all days? The bastard. He knows how badly Kai is itching. How dare he. He won’t get away with this. He is making an enemy he can’t afford.

KG immediately takes a step back, then rushes out the backyard into the dense canopy beyond. Kai chases him. This is on principle. They had a deal.  It’s business. Kai vows to set things straight, to follow KG to the ends of the earth if that’s what justice took.  Kai quickly loses KG through the brush, and scampers along the forest lost. He stumbles upon a trailhead leading up the mountain. Stairway to Heaven.

Just one more hit. Up top, there’s where KG has to be going. That’s where he’d light up for the last time. Up there away from all the stingy tourists and stuck-up businessmen and advertisements that screamed “NOT EVEN ONCE!” But once more for KG, and once more for Kai, who is chasing him. Chasing it. Who is heaven bound, tightening his fists and begins his journey upwards.


Hoffman paces back and forth across his spacious apartment before concluding he has no family photo albums. At least, nothing tangible. There’s just some digital photos of him and his ex-wife from a Christmas party eight years back, but that will be cleared along with the company’s hard drives. Wasted space.

She never calls except to ask for money. His son never calls at all. Hoffman weighs his responsibility for those people who happen to share his blood. He decides he has given them enough. He moves to the kitchen and pours himself a drink out of an unopened bottle of fine scotch. He sits down to pen a suicide note. It reads:

To the Staff of Al’Awaki Apartments,

I’m sorry. My body is floating in the bathtub.  I didn’t want you to have to cut down my corpse, or to leave a bloody mess of my brains on the carpet.

If you’re the one finding this note, we probably do not know each other, even though you’ve been cleaning my apartment for years. There should be at least four thousand dollars in cash in the second drawer of my office bureau. Take it. It’s yours. You deserve it.

See to it that my wealth is distributed amongst the charities of the staff’s choice. If more funds become necessary, contact Bunny Hodgins with this note. See to it you all take enough money for your own families as well. Whoever wants the yacht can have it. Keys are on the kitchen counter.

I’ve determined that my death shall be, like my life had been, purely economic. If it shuts off the power for my apartment, keep it off. I don’t want the bill to run up.

I can no longer support the market I’ve long been a part of. Please, you are my only family, the people I have slept near all along. Take my things. The Rolex in my bedside is worth $6,500, don’t let a pawnshop tell you otherwise. Take it, please.

I’m so sorry.

~Mark Hoffman

He finishes his drink and is woozy. He cannot remember the last time he drank. He stands and strolls to the floor-to-ceiling windows of his suite. The skyline is the immense playground of high-rises and city lights, his ruined, faulty kingdom. He remembers all the people he will put out of work. He is getting ready.

If he looks down all those stories, he sees the chaos in the street. The people seem to be going insane. They bear bad news. They are hungry. They have vast access to drugs and guns and run wild, raping and killing with vigor. Like everyone is in on it except Hoffman, and nobody does a thing.

But Hoffman doesn’t peer down into the microcosm of apocalyptic chaos on his street. Perhaps because he knows not that the meteors are coming and his hours are numbered. Or perhaps because if he does look down, he fears everything might look to him as it does normally.  


Kai hears the same gunfire dissimilarly, and yet it is a familiar sound. He realizes what people are liable to do now, so close to the end. Down below, wherever he is coming from, is not safe. He knows the people like him looting and killing on the street in a time of no consequences. He can see it in his mind, in the streets, on the beaches. On the most beautiful place on earth.

Kai clanks up mountain’s side, some scraggly dog mad with fleas. Sauntering and crisscrossing the darkened dirt path he shivers and feels along the path as nightfall drops warm and starless. His bare feet break blood upon small rocks and knotted tree roots along the path. He thinks that not so long ago he had it all: money, drugs, friendship. Long forgotten are the relics of his family, or else they have burned up in the torch beneath the glass bowl. Or sold for anything that would make him feel like he did that one first time.

It rains, again, and Kai stops. He forgets what he is doing; why he is running up a mountain. All he knows is that it is all very useless. He remembers his mother, safe and softly aging somewhere peaceful on the Big Island. He looks around for his only friend, but realizes there’s no possible way KG has come this far. He reaches into his sweatpants pocket and removes four fifty-dollar bills. He hopes that KG somehow gets them, and knows that even though they’re not OK, they’re OK.

He releases the money into the leeward wind, forgetting and remembering, continuing his trek upward anew.

 

THREE O’ CLOCK

The table is as long as history itself. A shining mahogany monolith. The chairs running parallel are accustomed to sitting armies of executives, ghost investors, hoards of boards of directors; their presence always felt but never seen. Except by men like Bunny Hodgins, who sits at the end the boardroom table, with the lights off, waiting for Hoffman.

Bunny is short and hardy, rarely seen standing up. Thick hair wraps around his polished bald head like Caesar’s wreath. He taps his pen, reducing once again in his mind the settlement figure, and scribbles it down on his business card. The pen shines its golden brilliance in one single ray of sunlight the shaded windows allow. Bunny is 59, and nostalgic for the days when they hired kids like Mark Hoffman. The boy just crunches the numbers, but he has a gift at it. Bunny has figured this meeting would come, but not this late.

Hoffman opens the door and swipes his hair and quickly sits down at the far end of the table. “I appreciate you meeting me so quickly.”

Bunny does not detect sarcasm. “I know,” he says. He lets Hoffman get away with the whole demonstration. Hoffman sets aside a laptop out and sets up his cell phone, the newest model available. With it he can project three panels of high definition graphs. “This came knocking on my door a little after noontime today,” Hoffman says, “in the form of my most exceptional employee.”

“Okay.”

“A young guy. Damn smart. Reminds me of myself a little, I mean, he’s sharp. But you? Me? Him? All of us are in trouble here if we don’t do something. He went digging when some numbers didn’t add up.”

The presentation begins. First, the faintest glimmers of doubt of Globosyn’s legitimacy, from the darkest desks of academia. Anyone who used Hodgins name anywhere near the noun Enron. He points out how easy it is to reveal nonpersons running the forged charities and subsidiaries. Then the numbers, and the graphs barred and running downward red.

Bunny smiles. He knows Hoffman puts on this jig because you have to give him credit. The guy’s hoping for junior partner after all, and sure he can read between the numbers. He just wants to tell Bunny to stop over-screwing the pooch. Slow down. Isn’t enough enough? He’s liable to testify when this all goes bad, and he’s too smart to be let loose. Hoffman may be in the right, but Bunny is CEO because he can sit in a room where both men know he is a fraud, and smile.

 Bunny walks down the table.

“Boss,” says Hoffman. “There’s a lot of money missing.” His face pours downward shadowed in the afternoon heat.

Bunny is sitting right next to him, his suit unbuttoned and relaxed. Somehow he is both on the table, sitting so his leg dangles like a camp counselor’s, but also with one foot firmly grounded. He nearly touches Hoffman with his fat fingers.

“You hungry? Let’s get lunch.”


Kai awakes in the park. The shadow has moved, he is now toasting in the sun and sweating. A tabby cat, or mutt breed thereof, is licking his face. He swipes the tabby with his arm and it flies a clean five feet across the grass. His friend JC and the heroin have worn off or are just lingering. Kai consoles a wiry blue vein that runs up his neck and across his left cheek. He reflects on the day’s improvement. Better than waking beneath the bridge. Too many damn humans and cats under Queen Liliuokalani Freeway. At nights it’s near pitch black. Cats and humans, not sure who’s eating who.  Kai considers vomiting, and stares a while at the ground. It looks like it will rain, and it might as well. He stands up, and begins to walk the earth.
The southern bluefin tuna is endangered. Between Hoffman’s small glass of water and Bunny’s German beer and one plate of bluefin tuna sushi rolls, there was hardly any room on the table. Hoffman sidles his arms to his thighs insecurely. The Japanese restaurant is near empty. Hoffman’s Bentley and Bunny’s Jaguar rest adjacent in the parking lot.

Bunny leans back and pats his stomach. “Mmm,” he says, “go on. You have to eat more.”

Hoffman has one more sushi roll. He does not stop staring at Bunny.

Bunny flatters, telling Hoffman what a rising star he is at Globosyn. A natural gift. He looks down at his plate and tosses his eyebrows when he tells Hoffman to fire that employee who’s sniffing around too much. “He’s young.” Bunny thinks out loud. “He’ll bounce back.”

Hoffman stares blankly at the window.

“Those numbers you work,” says Bunny, “they must keep growing. And they will. Everyone has to keep smiling. Good news must flow. This is what our investors chase. This is what we offer them.”

Hoffman begins to explain that he can’t fire such a valuable young mind, but Bunny cuts him off.  He explains that whatever was uncovered, what they both know, may or may not exist, may or may not be provable, may or may not even be true. “There are those who dwell in doubt,” Bunny says confidently. Some have faith in the law, Bunny has faith in lawyers.

“This cannot last,” Hoffman protests, and Bunny gives him that. He gives Globosyn, say, nine months before the feds got a whiff of the insider trading. And Bunny doesn’t fear the feds half as much as the press. And he doesn’t fear Hoffman hardly at all.

“You are an artist,” says Bunny. “You make money. It is an act of creation. You should be proud of this, boy. Some people bus tables. Some clean toilets. They maintain the world we have created for them. And everyday you come into our building and you help us create money out of nothing. Out of speculation, rumor, good will, faith.”

Hoffman wants to leave, but Bunny grips his wrist with a firm clutch. “You have a family, don’t you?”

“Somewhere,” Hoffman says.

Bunny pulls out his business card. On it he writes a number. It has seven zeroes. He hands the bribe to Hoffman. “Realize that these are our secrets now, and what it means to hold them. We will have to fight the truth one day, but when we do, we will do it together.” Bunny lets go of Hoffman.

Hoffman looks down at the card.

Bunny eats another sushi roll. “You will keep your company car, your benefits, all that. You will take the day off early, of that I’m sure.”  He is silent for a moment, not asking for gratitude, not even asking Hoffman to buy something nice for his ex-wife and kid. “People,” he says, “tend to do as little as they possible can. Have a couple off days if you need. Your job has been radically simplified.”

Hoffman puts the card in his front pocket. He says, “OK,” and leaves alone.

In the parking lot, Hoffman is trying to convince himself of hope. He tells himself Bunny and other fat cats will act differently now. He persuades himself that they get the message. Stepping into his Bentley, he wants to believe they are not all plagued by the sensation of more. As Hoffman pulls out of the parking lot, his windshield is broken by the hip of a homeless man.


Kai thinks: “Jackpot!” The guy is clearly loaded, and looks like he’s on the verge of tears. Kai waddles into the passenger seat, feigning possibly permanent injuries.  He almost feels better, actually, jostled out a fog of solidarity. The suit keeps apologizing and talking about driving him to the hospital and Kai just stares at the dashboard. The interior is an enormous lounge of leather, colored of clubbed baby seals. Everything shines. Everything works. Kai takes his time with this one.

He begins by lying about his name, age, and occupation. He doesn’t lie about being a local, and hones in out the businessman’s white haole guilt. Then he works the family angle, talking about his sick mother on the windward side and how bad her lung is and how it used to be just one lung but now it’s both and the doctors, well, he says, you know how doctors are, they just want money. He goes on and on, fabricating his past and present and future, at points so wrapped in his own story he forgets if the driver is even listening.            

All the while Kai speaks he is smiling pretty at the front of his mind. He is calculating how long it will take to reach KG, first calling him then riding the Number 8 Bus and then finally again geeking up on some sweet ice. His story is heartbreaking and human; he takes immense pleasure in the ruse.  Finally the businessman breaks, and reaches for his wallet.

Kai is already grinning and thanking the man, who hands him $200 in cash for injuries. Kai swears he’ll be fine.  The money is folded into his sweatpants pocket and never seen again. Kai steps out of the car and just can’t help himself. He turns around, smirking, and leans down to look at the man one last time. He rewards himself with a shred of honesty, a cherry on top of his unusually successful scheme. Leaning in the window, he smiles and says, “Seriously, thanks bruddha. Now I’m going to buy drugs with this.”


As the radio announces the end of the world, Hoffman is driving around in his 2010 Continental Bentley GTC.  XM radio comes standard, but Hoffman chooses to ignore it, opting to block himself off from the outside world. He reaches into the center council for a CD. “80s Love Ballads,” some preassembled mix packaged and distributed and sold for $14.99 by professionals. Hoffman turns the music up, and weeps.

It starts raining. The car whooshes and blurs and kicks up grime from the puddles it itself has helped create. There is no place for either of them, Hoffman or his luxury vehicle, on a beautiful tropical island in the center of the Pacific Ocean. Hoffman is haole, a white man, despite however many generations his family had lived in paradise (though he actually grew up in New England). Block after block he flies above black tar sizzling and cemented. Paved roads. He passes edifices of colonial history, drilled deep into the land until the blood of the natives was used up in painting all those Marriott Hotels.

Havn't there been enough cars on the Mainland? Enough roads that lead to little hamburger joints on the beach? Enough pollutant skyscrapers, those phallic manifestations of capitalism? Enough cranes to dig from the ocean enough grains of sand to fill the beaches and keep the tourists coming? Enough exploitation and homelessness and stark inequalities? And the drugs? Hoffman's vision blurs.

He crashes into the back of a parked taxicab, no more than two blocks away from his home. His hood bends into a perfect isosceles triangle, covering the smoking engine. Hoffman wipes his eyes and grabs his wallet and steps out to see a fat, dark Hawaiian standing with his hands on his hips observing the damage. The local taxi driver kicks his back bumper, which clanks onto the ground without a fight.

"Oh my god," Hoffman says. "I'm so sorry. I didn't see you. Shit." The driver scans the road left and right, silently indicating the clear absence of traffic or possible distractions. He is not so fat but big, his heavy arms inscribed with tribal tattoos. Save for the bumper the cab is not too damaged. The man emits a resigned sigh, turns, and re-enters his cab.

Hoffman rushes to his window, tripping over himself and his apologies. "Really, it was completely my fault. Let me-- I have a great insurance policy-- you'll probably get a brand new cab--I am so sorry."

But the driver just looks straight ahead. Finally he regards Hoffman. "You need a ride now?"

Hoffman stops talking, and requires the driver to repeat his question once more. "Um, no" Hoffman says. "I'm actually just two blocks away from my home." The driver shrugs his eyebrows, and puts the car into gear. "Wait, wait, wait, what are you doing?" says Hoffman. He grips the roof as if to keep the car in place. "Let me at least give you some cash for the bumper. I feel awful about this. Can't be more than a couple hundred, here."

The driver slams the cab into park and glares at the haole. "Stop apologizing. What are you doing? Get away from my cab."

Hoffman steps back.

"If you do not want a ride then fine. But this is mine, my job. I love to drive. Do not try to keep me from that."

"OK. OK." says Hoffman. He takes his hand off the cab but keeps the other hand extended out. "Here." He shakes some twenty-dollar bills in the driver's face, almost pleading.

The driver sighs and looks at the money. "You.....You haven’t heard, have you? You don't even know what that means now, do you?" he says. The rain clears up, as suddenly as it came. The taxicab leaves Hoffman in the sinking humidity. It drives further into the night, seeking pedestrians with its vacancy light on. He’s right, Hoffman thinks. He stands in the street holding the cash, not knowing what it is for.


On the bus Kai bounces up and down like he when was a little kid back in school. He is that giddy.  The sun’s mothering rays draw themselves out of the way and hide behind a mountain. Kai gazes from the back of the bus, whose lights turn on as dusk creeps forward. The bus rises and falls through the mountains on its long drive to the windward side of the island. The cabin lights of the bus are soft yellow and Kai feels again and again his sweatpants pockets.  He hasn’t even spent money on food. He is too hungry.

So now it rains, in his throat and shriveling fingers, but not for long. Soon KG, his good friend, his best brudda, will spark his wire, get him out of the gate. Hell, Kai thinks, I’ll probably buy out his whole stash. KG always takes care of him, and KG always takes him back. No matter if they have had troubles in their past, it wouldn’t be like that today. There was just too much money involved, and Kai is in a position to barter. Kai likes that idea, likes the power behind negotiation.

Kai likes to dream and hope and work. Just like them, he thinks, scanning the civilians in the other rows. The nurse that smokes. The drunk priest. The lazy schoolteacher. Hard workers like myself, Kai thinks. He is the exception that proves the rule, he thinks. When he was a kid he loved riding the school bus not just for the images passing by the window, but for the unity of souls on its journey. They are all being taken along through the mountain and its ever-darkening passages. They whisper, and begin to shout about apocalyptic nothings. Kai leans back, content. The passengers turn into a chorus of worry, but he knows that nothing, no words ever spoken by a man, could ever rip those varying creeds apart.

 

NOON

By noon the last day on Earth, everything will feel the same.

There will lighters beneath the glass spheres. Thumbs will press upon syringes. The numbers will be pushed into keyboards, stitched into their dependent computer screens. All material things will collide, mashing and punching and churning lies out of antimatter. 

Through it all the wallpaper in Veronica’s trailer will crumble. The ties in Hoffman’s closet will wrinkle.  The projected profits will continue to grow. There will be the one who thinks success equals progress. The one that mistakes friends for assets. The one who wakes beneath the bypass and sniffs the Hawaiian air, and will scheme.

Mark Hoffman will have his second coffee. He will sit at his desk and work hard and be well rewarded for it. He will glance at the framed picture of his son that sits on his desk. The boy will turn 13 next month.  He will reflect on what he gives his son: a role model, a bar set high, and a financial safety net. He will look proudly at the boy, seeing himself in his face.

He will suspect the bubble bursting. He will dread the day when someone smarter than him walks in the office and announces that it all must eventually turn to shit. He will nod, pretending not to know the true extent of fraud. He will move to the window. He will gaze and he will consider and he will remain proud of his contribution to his company, country, and century. He will reflect on his species’ bold magnitude, what they have brought to that island rock, surrounded by thousands of miles of ocean.  But while things are good, he will relish his spacious office alone. He will lock the door and move to his desk. He will unbuckle his trousers and let his pants fall to the floor. He will turn away the picture of his son, for the sake of humanity.

He will sit proudly in the top floor of Globosyn, Inc and Kai Longman will be down below in its shadow.

He will do whatever it takes to get the money to get high. He will rob and hurt. He will lie almost constantly. He will walk hundreds of thousands of miles, cross deserts, fight holy wars, mercilessly force oil into the throats of his enemies.

He will walk down to Waikiki and meet his friend JC and pay $20 for a capsule of heroin and take it to the park to shoot up. He will lie down in the shade of what he thinks to be a tree but is in fact the edifice, Globosyn. Inc.

They will lean back and whisper to themselves about the way of the world and the rightness of their doings. They will coo themselves softly before finishing, forgiving their perpetual nature, moving their flesh and souls to orgasm.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.