The big gun of migraine relief. Initially injectable, now available in pill and nasal spray form. Expensive and with a semi-scary list of side effects...but it can mean the difference between a shitty, photophobic day and normal productivity.

The injectable form is also used to relieve (the suicide-inspiring) cluster headache attacks. Imitrex cuts headaches short, but it will not reduce the number of attacks you get; there may be a "rebound" if the drug wears off, requiring a second dose.

Avoid mixing with:

MAO inhibitors such as Nardil and Parnate
Ergot-containing drugs such as Cafergot and Ergostat
SSRI's--your basic Prozac, Luvox, Paxil, Zoloft, etc.

You can tell Imitrex® is a Serious Drug because it must be taken intravenously. I've seen the large, complex setup that comes with each dose, designed to hide the needle beneath a thick sheath of plastic before and during use, and after use to encase and destroy it irrecoverably. I guess the extra landfill mass is a small price to pay to keep the migraine sufferer's garbage from becoming a treasure trove for junkies.

Your doctor will probably recommend this anyway, but the first time you inject this drug make sure you are under medical supervision. I took it having no known drug allergies and with no reason to think I would have a bad reaction and I thought I was going to die. The pain in my head got worse and worse (yes, suicide-inspiring is a good phrase) and I kept vomiting long after there was nothing left in my stomach. I got so cold that even with heaps of blankets and heating pads I was still shaking and finally the doctor just sedated me to put me out of my misery.

I know this drug must help some people, but I would seriously look at alternatives before you jump into anything. I've almost entirely eliminated my migraines by cutting out caffeine, alcohol and chocolate from my diet and by getting enough exercise and sleep. It's a lot safer.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.