At the end, a 13-team professional hockey league. Formed in 1945. 7 teams had NHL parent clubs. It was made up of players who weren't quite ready for the NHL, who were holding out on contracts, who never quite made it, or who were on the downside of their careers. They played for the Turner Cup. The Houston Aeros, Detroit Vipers, Chicago Wolves, Kansas City Blades and Orlando Solar Bears were some of the other teams in the 'I'.

The IHL is no longer.

JUNE 5, 2001
Dear IHL Fans
After 56 years, The International Hockey League will be ceasing operations effective immediately. On behalf of everyone in the League and for those that have come before us, I would like to thank you, our fans, for your dedication and support of the IHL, and the sport of professional ice hockey.

Although this announcement is made with great sadness, we ask everyone to remember the glorious history of the IHL, which began as a four-team league based in Windsor and Detroit in 1945. Since then, the IHL grew into one of the premier hockey leagues in North America spanning from Florida to Manitoba to California. The names of Len Thornson, Steve Maltais, Jock Callander, Fredric Chabot, Dave Michayluk and many others will forever be etched in the memories of IHL fans throughout North America.

The Turner Cup, named after Joe Turner, became one of the most prized symbols in professional hockey and will be preserved for all to see in the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto.

Once again, I'd like to thank you for being the best fans in minor league hockey and urge you to continue to support our great sport at both the minor and major league levels.

Sincerely,

Douglas G. Moss


Source: http://www.theihl.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.