Mr. McGuire : I want to say one word to you. Just one word.
Ben Braddock : Yes, sir.
Mr. McGuire : Are you listening?
Ben Braddock : Yes, I am.
Mr. McGuire : Plastics.
Ben Braddock : Just how do you mean that, sir?
Mr. McGuire : There is a great future in plastics. Think about it. Will you think about it?
Ben Braddock : Yes, I will.
Mr. McGuire : Okay. Enough said. That's a deal.

Look around you. Chances are you're looking at plastic and if you're a geek, you're probably looking at a lot of it. If you're fashionable, you're probably wearing lots of it. Plastic. One of the most relied upon man-made substances on this planet and its the most taken for granted.

Its everywhere. Don't deny it. You or someone you know may have Gore-Tex arteries and you are definately sitting in front of a computer. If you're anywhere where it rains or snows, you probably own a coat for wind and/or water-resistance, and umbrellas are important if you don't.

Plastic Manufacturers are always searching for solutions and gadgetry that their marketing departments can push upon us in our world that revolves around convenience. Whether it be some new type of fibre that can be weave into a substance to make it impermeable to moisture, gas or in some cases solvents, innovations in plastic are keeping us more comfortable.

The brand names that plastics have are fascinating to me. Their names have made their way into our dialect like Kleenex, Asprin and Band-Aids have.

Other plastics like High and Low Density Polyethylene (HDPE & LDPE) and Polystyrene have made themselves at home in our lives in the way of clothing and textiles, canisters, storage bins, disposable cutlery, jewelery, accessories, toys and knick knacks.

If it weren't for plastic, Band-Aids would be less comfortable, less waterproof and more prone to carrying bacteria. You'd not have a computer in front of you, no BFGoodrich or Goodyear Tires would be on your car and we'd never have had any Kodak Moments.

Most importantly, we wouldn't be here.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.