Rene Descartes, the French philosopher, wrote in 1641, 'I think, therefore I am'. This statement has become outdated and inadequate in today's cultural society. 'I am at Live 8, therefore I am' would seem to provide a much more satisfactory aphorism of the human condition. Of course, 'Live 8' could equally be replaced with a selection of other suitable life affirming experiences, (for example 'I am at a U2 concert', or 'I am swimming with dolphins'). But let's stay on the subject of live 8.

At the start of Live 8 in the United Kingdom, tv "celebrity" Jonathan Ross announced that it is 'July 2nd. 2 o'clock. London'. However, he quickly had to withdraw his words as it became apparent that the moment had in fact not arrived and the concert was not going to begin for several more minutes. This underlined a certain absurdity that is attached to Live 8 and similar type of life-affirming events. The rhetoric is drummed into us that this is a historic moment; one that we will remember until the day we die. However, when Mr. Ross had to repeat the same sentences a few minutes later the illusion was cracking. A chunky looking Paul McCartney and Bono trundled out on to stage and a quiet confusion seemed to fall upon the crowd. This was 'the moment' the hype had been working up to and inevitably it transpired to be little different from any other moment of one's life. A few camera pans of the audience later and the viewer is left with little doubts as to the type of audience that will spend the afternoon worrying about missing Bono's 'historic' (for everything is 'historic' this afternoon) encore whilst queuing for the toilet. There were a couple of women wearing 'Make Land-mines History' t-shirts. At least they're trying, at least they're doing something, one might say. But is this way of thinking really healthy, or positive?

Let us look at some of the controversy that has surrounded the build-up to Live 8. The most obvious aspect of this has been the arguments regarding the choice of band line-ups. The only African artist to be performing at Live 8 is Youssou N'Dour, who is playing Paris and then jetting over to London (so thin on the ground are African musicians that one has to cover two of the concerts). According to television schedules, Live 8 London is running from 2pm until around 9.30pm. That is seven and a half hours, but only one African artist. Damon Albarn of Blur was one big name critic, stating

'More than ever, black culture is an integral part of society, so why is the bill so damn Anglo-Saxon? If you are holding a party on behalf of people, then surely you don't shut the door on them. In a way Live 8 does that: it doesn't make you feel closer to Africa, it treats it like it's a failing, ill, sick, tired place'.
Furthermore, black musician Patrick Augustus said, 'It seems like the great white man has come to rescue us while the freedom fighters never get a mention'. Again, Senegalese star Baaba Maal complained, saying, 'I do feel it's very patronising as an African artist that more of us aren't involved'. The campaign group, Black Information Link, labelled the line-up as 'hideously white'. It should be noted that there is only one Live 8 concert taking place in Africa itself, in Johannesburg. However, this wasn't initially planned and it was only when South Africa itself asked if it could hold one that this concert was added. Moreover, the attendance at this event has been poor in comparison to the European events and enthusiasm within the African continent seems to be lacking. This could, in part, be down to lack of inclusiveness of the organisation of the Live 8 concerts.

However, we should examine the defense. Bob Geldof (or should I say, 'Saint Bob') reacted to the criticism (and in particular Albarn's) by saying,

'Simply because you have black skin, or orange skin, or white skin, or lime green skin does not give you a passport on to the Live 8 stage, it just can't. The only thing that can do that is whether you sell records across the globe, and, therefore the globe will watch'.
This view was backed up with the official line that stated that 'Bob Geldof's intention was to get headline-grabbing shows full of people who fill stadiums and arenas. This is not Womad (the world music festival). We are not doing an arts festival'. Indeed - I don't think anyone is going to mistake it for such. But surely implicit in Geldof's statement is the fact that this event is defined by a massive commercial machine known as the music industry. African artists don't sell, so we're not interested. We'd rather listen to Dido screeching sugar-coated ballads with cheesy lyrics that the average middle-class brain can relate to without having to delve too far into the murky world of the human psyche. So, we can therefore infer that it is okay to use a morally corrupt and intellectually bankrupt industry, allow it to further it's own ends and the ends of the egocentric "artists" who sport bleach-blond hair in order to save a continent from poverty as it cannot save itself. Fair enough one might say, and I indeed would, except that a second criticism now arises.

The idea is that through Live 8, pressure will be placed on the G8, the leaders of the eight richest countries in the world, to actually do something proactive and significant about poverty in Africa. Frequently, leading advocates of Live 8 have stated that it really is as simple as that - if the these eight leaders agree, the World will be transformed. To reduce the economic and polical systems of the world to such a simplistic formula is more than faintly ridiculous. Of course, these men have immense influence and power. But these are men that are routed into a mindset that is shared by most individuals in the Western world (and spreading). Joe Bloggs at Live 8 doesn't anguish about using his car each day when he could walk. Mary Bloggs doesn't anguish about whether to buy that pair of Birkenstock shoes or give the money to Oxfam. We live in a culture that expects things almost unthinkingly now. Politicians lie and don't do the "right" things not just because they're corrupt, but because the majority of them would be deeply unpopular with the public. We blame politicians for the problems, but often we define the limits and the rules the politicians have to play by. Combine this pressure from the public with the power that the World Trade Organisation wields (which many would argue is greater than the combined power of the G8) and we start to see that these eight men are in fact hostages to the whims of these groups. Joe Bloggs will happily go along to Live 8 and tap his toes to a bit of inoffensive Coldplay, but make him give up thirty percent of his income a month for Africa, or the homeless, or the environment and there would be a change of Government sharpish to one that would keep his wallet full.

So, we're back where we started, with the Live 8 audience subconsciously affirming their existence by being present at Live 8. Many will no doubt awake tomorrow with a feeling of euphoria because 'I was at Live 8!' and a cathartic feeling like they've actually 'done something'. Undoubtedly the leaders at the G8 will thrash out some kind of deal on African debt and hopefully at the same time they will address the issues of corruption within certain African countries. I sincerely hope that they do. However, without a wholesale change of mindset by the "mass-men" as Ortega called them, and some fundemental changes to the systems of Government (which will never happen), then the World will remain dominated by the consumer, 'I want it now, this is my moment', type of individual that is characterised by the Live 8 audience.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.