hypospadias(adjective, hypospadiac): a birth defect in the positioning of the urethral (urinary meatus) opening on the penis in males or into the vagina in females. In mild male hypospadias, the opening is only slightly displaced from the tip of the penis. In severe male hypospadias, the opening is in the female position, at the base of the scrotum, and the penis has an open gutter on its underside, instead of a covered urinary canal. A hypospadiac penis may be normal sized or small. 2. A birth defect in the male in which the urinary opening is on the underside of the shaft of the penis anywhere from the glans (first degree) to the perineum (third degree or penoscrotal hypospadias). A small penis with a severe degree of hypospadias is identical in appearance with an enlarged clitoris below which is a single opening or urogenital sinus leading to both the urethra and the vagina Artificial hypospadias may occur as a sequel to an injury, as in a circumcision accident, or be self-inflicted. See also micropenis (microphallus); hyperspadias.

Dictionary of Sexology Project: Main Index

Hy`po*spa"di*as (?), n. [NL., fr. Gr. beneath + to draw, tear.] Med.

A deformity of the penis, in which the urethra opens upon its under surface.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.