1. the process of fasting in protest of something or other, assuming that the perpetrators of the protested event care if you starve to death or not.

  2. A very moving song by Temple of the Dog.
Some Hunger Strikes:

1981 - Irish republican volunteers fasted to retain their status as political prisoners. Margaret Thatcher, demanded they be classified as criminals. Ten men died.

1999-2000 - 61 prisoners starved themselves to death in protest against high-security jails in Turkey.

2001 - In Ingushetia 22 Chechen refugees who lived in tent camps conducted a hunger strike. Makhmud Abdulshaidov, leader of the strike went hungry for more than 25 days.

2001 - Bob Schulz, chairman of "We the People Foundation for Constitutional Education" and Roland Croteau vowed to abstain from food until the IRS produced a list of government officials that would meet with them to talk about the fairness of taxation.

2002 - Woomera, Australia a camps where illegal immigrants (including children) are locked up while their asylum claims are processed. 160 of the detainees - including children and a pregnant woman refused all food and water.

2002 - Hildure Runa Hauksdottir, Bjork's mom protested against plans to build an aluminium smelt and hydroelectric plant above Vatnajokull, Europe's largest glacier.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.