The question of how to make money from the Internet and web browsers has long been a question in the business world. The daunting problems facing a company trying to do this have destroyed more than a couple. However, I think that the internet has evolved enough so that a viable business model can be derived.

It's very simple. Get all the developers that worked on Netscape and Internet Explorer and line them up. Anyone who has ever had strife, pain, or ever had to do any developing on the web pays a dollar to bitchslap them. A refined pay structure such as below could give a few more choices for people, depending on the pain they've endured dealing with the multitude of standards that have been created, and the inherent non-compatibility between various browsers.

There is the question of location as well. You could send them all to somewhere that needs tourism. Minnesota perhaps. People would flock there for the chance to bitchslap an IE developer. Another idea would be to have the developers tour inner city areas. Not only would this stimulate economic growth, but anger and aggression could be taken out on the developers (who brought you javascript, JScript, and the other javascript, not compatible with the first), rather than in drive by shootings and other acts of senseless violence.

My favorite business model on the net remains eBay. They created a virtual exchange that can only exist on the Internet.

eBay leverages the power of the Internet to bring together millions of buyers and sellers across the world. The first Critical Success Factor ("CSF") for eBay, like with any exchange (e.g. NYSE), is therefore liquidity. Once a seller lists an item for sale, there are immediately thousands of buyers taking a look at it...

eBay's Feedback system, which ensures both a level of trust and loyalty among its community, is another CSF. Although it was initially created as an experiment, it has served the test of time. Just look all these powerbuyers and sellers that have emerged, with feedback ratings greater than 10,000 (items). It is likely that they will never switch to a different auction site.

Because eBay doesn't own any warehouses (and none of the expenses of traditional retailers), gross profit margins are typically 80%+. There are not many businesses, offline or online, that can match this performance. More importantly, the business is growing ... the CEO plans $3bn in revenues by 2005. And this in a time where consumer spending is supposed to be dampened!

So, if you want to make real money, study eBay. It works, makes tons of money, taken all the right steps and is here to stay.

Thanks to TenMinJoe for pointing out that eBay now also owns Paypal, which is basically a very clever bank. Paypal now (May 2003) has more than 25m members worldwide, and god knows how much in it's bank :-)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.