It's not necessarily recommended, but it is possible to use AvantGo to download Everything2 (or at least a current subset of it) to your Palm or Pocket PC handheld computer. They even make it easy for you:
- Download and install AvantGo on your handheld and set up an account at www.avantgo.com if you haven't already done so.
- At the AvantGo Web site, click on "My Channels" and then "Create Custom Channel Classic".
- Title your custom Channel "Everything2" and set the URL to the printable version of Everything New Nodes or the Cool Archive. (The printable version, linked from the bottom of the page, gives you only the node itself with no page header or nodelets. Otherwise just add "&displaytype=printable" to the end of the URL.)
Update: The powers that be have created a special "lite" version of Everything New Nodes at http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=AvantGo-Nice%20ENN for just this sort of thing.
- Set the Maximum Channel Size to about 1000k and Link Depth to 1.
- Leave the rest of the settings at their defaults and click "Save Channel".
- Make sure you're online and synchronize your handheld to update AvantGo.
It's not the best way to get the content, of course, and the synchronization process takes forever. But when you're an information junkie desperately in need of a fix you'll be glad it's there.