You know how annoying Bess can be at times. Especially if you want to just read some E2 nodes. Bess and many other content filtering proxies make it impossible to go to your favorite sites. These filters block out some educational sites as well. Anything with shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, and tits (George Carlin).

If you are wanting to get into a site that is blocked by the filter, there are ways around it. The easiest way is to setup your own proxy on your computer. There are many proxy applications out there, but I prefer CGIProxy by James Marshall. All you need to do is have a webserver such as Apache, which allows cgi applications. Download the file, decompress the contents into your cgi-bin and chmod it to allow execution. Now you've got yourself a proxy.

The next step is to password protect this app. The reason for this is so the filter doesn't ban your application, as Bess will look at all contents that its proxy has come to. Password protecting the site makes it impossible for them to check upon you. You could do this by editing your .htaccess file or using another application, which purpose serves to lock files on your webserver (there are many php scripts out there that do this).

Now when you access your proxy bess will see only your site url with the destination url after it. This tricks Bess into thinking its still at your site.

ex. http://www.yoursite.com/cgi-bin/nph-proxy.cgi/010110A/http/www.yahoo.com/

This won't work all the time however. If there are any derogatory words in the address, as mentioned earlier, bess will ban it.

ex. http://www.yoursite.com/cgi-bin/nph-proxy.cgi/010110A/http/www.assfucker.com/

Now there are also cases where the filter was just installed on the client-side instead of server-side. In these cases you lucked out. All you have to do is disable the proxy from within your browser and choose no proxy.

*The following was intended for Bess and similar services. It may not work on all content filters.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.