When choosing a holster, your first priority will be concealability. It must be positioned for fast access, ideally with either hand. Perhaps the best holster when wearing a suit is the crossdraw over the hipbone. It's especially good for when you're standing in a secure position, your back to a wall, arms crossed, and hand on your weapon.

Another type is the down-slanting shoulder holster, which is similar to the crossdraw but does not offer as much accessibility to the weak hand. A shoulder holster, however, is the best choice for a bulky handgun.

There is also something called the Jackass shoulder system. It works like a vest and has a double magazine pouch under the strong side arm. Ankle holsters are usually good only for carrying the number 3 weapon, because the access is slow. Women tend to favor the shoulder holster or vest with built-in holster.

I have no idea where kessenich got his information but it sure doesn't sound like it came from anybody who actually carries a firearm on a day to day basis. But one thing I agree on is that ankle holsters are only for carrying your number 3 weapon, or your back-up, back-up gun. You do have one don't you?

First of all there are probably ten times more choices in holsters than there are choices in firearms.

On any given day you have the choice of any of the following:

And each has its own pro and con. For concealability you will most likely have to give up a little accesibility, an IWB will conceal like a dream but will take a tad longer to draw from than a paddle holster. Cross draw holsters are good for people who sit a lot or drive a lot, they are not very concealable though. Sadly, women don't actually prefer shoulder holsters, but from my research they prefer to carry guns in their purses or handbags. This is not advisable as it is very easy to snatch away and can result in easily getting disarmed.

The mentioned Jackass holster is indeed a very classy design and can be seen used in the TV show Miami Vice. That design is now owned by the Galco company.

Whichever one you choose, make sure you regularly practice drawing and presenting your weapon from it as to maintain proficiency.

Hol"ster (?), n. [D. holster; skin to AS. heolstor den, cave, fr.helan to conceal, and to Icel. hulstr case, Goth.hulistr covering, veil, huljan to cover. &root;17. See Hele to cover, Hell, and cf. Housing, Houss.]

A leather case for a pistol, carried by a horseman at the bow of his saddle<--, or worn on the person suspended from a belt-->.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.