Hiss (?). v. i. [imp. & p. p. Hissed (#); p. pr. & vb. n. Hissing.] [AS. hysian; prob. of imitative origin; cf. LG. hissen, OD. hisschen.]

1.

To make with the mouth a prolonged sound like that of the letter s, by driving the breath between the tongue and the teeth; to make with the mouth a sound like that made by a goose or a snake when angered; esp., to make such a sound as an expression of hatred, passion, or disapproval.

The merchants among the people shall hiss at thee. Ezek. xxvii. 36.

2.

To make a similar noise by any means; to pass with a sibilant sound; as, the arrow hissed as it flew.

Shod with steel, We hissed along the polished ice. Wordsworth.

 

© Webster 1913.


Hiss, v. t.

1.

To condemn or express contempt for by hissing.

If the tag-rag people did not clap him and hiss him, according as he pleased and displeased them. Shak.

Malcolm. What is the newest grief? Ros. That of an hour's age doth hiss the speaker. Shak.

2.

To utter with a hissing sound.

The long-necked geese of the world that are ever hissing dispraise. Tennyson.

 

© Webster 1913.


Hiss, n.

1.

A prolonged sound like that letter s, made by forcing out the breath between the tongue and teeth, esp. as a token of disapprobation or contempt.

"Hiss" implies audible friction of breath consonants. H. Sweet.

A dismal, universal hiss, the sound Of public scorn. Milton.

2.

Any sound resembling that above described

; as: (a)

The noise made by a serpent.

But hiss for hiss returned with forked tongue. Milton.

(b)

The note of a goose when irritated

. (c)

The noise made by steam escaping through a narrow orifice, or by water falling on a hot stove

. <-- or the high-frequency noise from an electronic audio instrument -->

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.